What are the odds of getting two bad arbors?

As far as 'should you get something like this', the answer is obviously 'no'. The fact that you got 2 is probably as others said, a bad production run, someone asleep at the CNC machine :) A call to Sierra would be nice to at least alert them of their mistake, perhaps they can get the rest off the proverbial shelves. That said, I'm immediately disappointed in their QC, and probably am going to mentally consider them about equivalent to 'chinesium' products.
I will call them. It is no doubt a bad run, compounded by poor quality control, and who knows what. Yes, I am disappointed with their QC.

The arbor is fixable, both of them are. Fixing the arbor is not the point of the thread.

I do not accept paying full retail price for defective equipment whether I can fix it or not. It is the principal of it.

As an example, would you accept delivery of a car that you paid MSRP without the rear axle and wheels? You paid for a full vehicle and expect full function for that price, wouldn't you?
Apples and oranges. I don't think you have really determined the true cause of the problem, whether it is the arbor or the fastener; if I wanted to get on with my job instead of p-ssing and moaning about it, I'd find the cause, remedy it, and get on with it.

Apples and oranges. I don't think you have really determined the true cause of the problem, whether it is the arbor or the fastener; if I wanted to get on with my job instead of p-ssing and moaning about it, I'd find the cause, remedy it, and get on with it.
I am trying to find out the cause. I don't know how to measure these kind of things. It is not my area of expertise at all. It's why I posted.

So, how would you determine what was wrong?

The fastener does not seem to be the problem. I replaced it and the problem remains. The head of the fastener is not centered with respect to the outside body of the arbor, nor is it centered with respect to the counterbore. The offset is 0.022" on this arbor. I realize using a screw is hardly precision, but I don't have pin gauges.

So the bolt hole and the CBore don't mean squat . Open them up .020 and you're good to go . Without the bolt , make sure the saw sits flush on the holder as well as the cap . If not , could be a radius in the corner on either of the 2 . If there is , just undercut it , no big issue .

So the bolt hole and the CBore don't mean squat . Open them up .020 and you're good to go . Without the bolt , make sure the saw sits flush on the holder as well as the cap . If not , could be a radius in the corner on either of the 2 . If there is , just undercut it , no big issue .
Practically speaking, you and others are correct. I can fix both arbors. Many members here have provided useful suggestions for a fix. It's quite apparent that there is a can-do attitude on this forum. I like that. The arbors will be fixed, one way or another, pending contacting Sierra American.

From a consumer perspective, I overpaid for a factory second. I was expecting a factory first. In retrospect, I guess, I got these arbors for 1/2 price. One could argue that I was made whole.

Someone ought to inform Sierra American they have a problem. Their product was sold as new and fully functional. And it isn't fully functional without alteration. Therefore their product value proposition is less. In any case, I will inform Sierra American they have shipped two defective parts, and they may have some sort of quality problem. If I don't report it, who will?

Back