What are these threaded holes for ?

compact8

Registered
Registered
I bought this tilt and swivel some 20 years ago but never used it much. There are 6 set screws on the top of the moving block and I used to believe they are for holding some parts inside the moving block but the other day I found that the four screws indicated in the attached picture are just finger tight so I think they are just there to prevent chips from getting into the threaded holes which are there for mounting some accessories to the moving block. Any thoughts what those accessories might be ?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    128.8 KB · Views: 99
That's a nice looking vise. Way more solid than most tilt/swivels. I guess the design makes it less compact.

I'm just guessing, but it looks to me like they are for adjusting the fit and feel of the movable jaw. The jaw appears to ride on a tee and the holes/screws pointed at would be a good place to adjust tension on gibs riding the top of the tee. Could also be for mounting stuff on the movable jaw.

Anyway, someone here will likely give a more informed answer.

They could used for setting a sine bar up but I would rather them be on the fixed jaw . Depending on how accurate the moveable jaw is , I'm sure it would be accurate enough for most applications .

They could used for setting a sine bar up but I would rather them be on the fixed jaw . Depending on how accurate the moveable jaw is , I'm sure it would be accurate enough for most applications .
What a coincidence ! I have just made a small sine bar intended to be used on this vice and other places and I have been trying to figure out how to mount it accurately. My initial idea is using the vice bed as the reference but will explore the option of using the movable jaw now.

I think it was owner added, and it was a way to fixture a specific part. It could have been for and extended jaw in height, or v block..

I bought this tilt and swivel some 20 years ago but never used it much. There are 6 set screws on the top of the moving block and I used to believe they are for holding some parts inside the moving block but the other day I found that the four screws indicated in the attached picture are just finger tight so I think they are just there to prevent chips from getting into the threaded holes which are there for mounting some accessories to the moving block. Any thoughts what those accessories might be ?
Nice vise

Last edited:
Apparently those holes are where you would mount the barometer.

Did you peek or poke underneath of the set screws? My first gut hunch looking is that the "outer four" don't look to bee all that plausible for vise function, because they dead end to where there's nothing happening that would be beneficially affected by a screw, right on the slidy part that doesn't want to be screwed to or against.. The "middle two" look more plausible to be "functional", perhaps capturing the forcing screw.

I'm leaning towards they are for attaching an accessory or fixture..

Did you peek or poke underneath of the set screws?
OK, I took a more careful look and found that under each set screw, there is another set screw of the same socket size.

It appears that the top screw is for locking the one beneath it. Now I tend to believe that those screws serve the purpose mentioned by dbb-the-bruce in his reply above, ie, adjusting the fitting between the movable block and the vice bed like those for adjusting the gibs of dove-tails. Has anyone seen such design on vices ?

Back