What are these tools for?

zaaephod

Registered
Registered
Hi all,

I bought another lathe, this time a 14x40 import. The guy said he was doing AR mods. I have no experience with that, and these tools were the ones left in the box of goodies that I couldn't identify. I figured this would be the place to find out what they are for!

ma9qj0S.jpg

Bore protectors (I use them), reamer holder and tang, don't know what the black ladder-looking thingie is, and at the bottom looks like some reamer tubes with something in them.

It was late, I didn't open the clear boxes, I saw they have bore sizes marked on them, they don't have flutes. I thought maybe they were a sort of go-nogo pin? I'll go open one up.

The black dealie and the MT3 arbor are for chamber reaming (manufacturer's info is stamped on the side).

Here's what's in the box, and yes, I did look up the label, but it wasn't clear how you are meant to use the tool. It has a flat screw on the end, and the short section spins freely.

o8qmRMx.jpg

Oh, so the black portion goes over the spherical pin on the MT3 taper, and the set screws hold in a reamer?

Exactly. They make a similar setup for running with threading dies, too. Function is the same. It's a reliable setup if you aren't too hung up on the recent "need" to use an axially-floating reamer holder. These are nice because of the "feel" when taking very tiny advances on the finish cut.

Back