What are these?

tjb

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
A friend of mine came upon a steal for a dump trailer. The catch was that in order to get the trailer, he also had to take everything that was in it as well. He loaded all the scrap (not much, actually) into my single-axle dump truck to take to the scrap yard. The five pieces of metal in the photo are in the dump truck. These things are very heavy - they look to be 5/8" thick - and appear to lock together in some way to form huge cylinders. The panel standing upright in the front left of the photo is about 2 or 2-1/2 feet tall. The two standing upright behind it on the LEFT are identical to it and in original binding, and don't appear to have ever been used. Those three look like they could bolt together to form a complete cylinder. The two on the right are taller - maybe as much as 3-1/2' - and clearly will not form a complete cylinder.

Anybody have any idea what they are and how they would be used? I think I'm going to retrieve them and stick them in the barn, but I'd love to know what their original purpose might be.

Regards

IMG_2464.jpg

Hammermill screens: they would be located at the bottom of the grinding chamber and the “hammers” would whack & fling incoming material (rocks or almost anything that can be fractured) around the chamber until everything goes through the holes.

They look to be in pretty good condition, so if you have a local heavy equipment dealer they may be interested.

......they could make one heck of a fire-pit surround.
It should last generations.

Brian
Good call, Brian. That's exactly what my wife would like to do with them. That's probably the #1 likelihood, but I had another thought. I had cut down a maple tree last year with a very straight trunk, about 16" diameter. I have thought about having it milled into 3" slabs for a table top. These could make a great base for a patio table.

Regards

These could make a great base for a patio table.

Seems like a neat idea. I have 3” slabs from a big chestnut oak we took down that I plan to make into a table (largest is 4’6”x7’10”). Thinking about your perforated panels gives me some ideas for a base.

Hammermill screens: they would be located at the bottom of the grinding chamber and the “hammers” would whack & fling incoming material (rocks or almost anything that can be fractured) around the chamber until everything goes through the holes.

They look to be in pretty good condition, so if you have a local heavy equipment dealer they may be interested.
My first impression was they look just like a heavy duty version of the screen I made for my old chipper, essentially a hammermill.

WP_20200615_08_39_04_Pro.jpg

WP_20200615_09_48_05_Pro.jpg

WP_20200615_11_53_40_Pro.jpg

Charcoal holder for a big BBQ.
That's a good thought. I have a grandson-in-law who is a master BBQ-er. I may run the idea by him and see what he thinks.

I have seen these in large paper shredder /bailing systems

Reactions: tjb
Back