What are you listening to right now?

The short answer is it changes from day to day.

The shop usually just gets the news or a movie thrown on the 55" or the local 70/80/90's FM radio station (though a vintage Akai AA-930 receiver and some huge "disco era" towers), but a typical listening playlist for me goes something like this:

IMG_3078.jpegIMG_3079.jpegIMG_3080.jpegIMG_3083.jpegIMG_3084.jpegIMG_3209.jpegIMG_3210.jpegIMG_3211.jpegIMG_3212.jpegIMG_3066.jpeg

Turntables are a Dual 1229Q and a Dual 1249. Both rebuilt by myself and I made the oak stands they are in. Still have to stain and urethane them. They feed into a Sansui 8080DB and out to some AR4x speakers.

IMG_3023.jpeg

I tend to prefer vintage Sansui gear. There’s also a set of Sansui SS-35 studio monitor headphones and Sansui SDM-1 mics. But I won’t turn down vinrage gear in good shape and theres even some vintage Pioneer and Luxman stuff hanging around in my storage room. One of my favs is a set of Pioneer Monitor 10 studio headphones. You can see a couple Radio shack "Hi-ball" mics next to the 8080DB as well. the ubiquitous "garage band" mics from my youth....I won't say I often plug them in and sing along, at least I won't admit it publicly....

There's also a couple cassette players and a Sony 50 CD jukebox for when I’m doing housework instead of just listening.

I have a decent vinyl library, but not huge by any means:

IMG_3070.jpeg

More than enough there to satisfy my listening “wants” as its all music I selected so its all music I like.

The sound from this setup is fantastic and this is my "forever" rig. Plenty of power for me at 85 WPC. The sound is crystal clear and warm (I rebuilt the 8080DB a few years back; caps, transistors, etc) but it will shake the windows anytime I want. I don't though, that's just way too loud for me these days. Well, maybe once in a while.....;)

It will leave my hands when they have my estate sale.

Yeah, I'm pretty much an 80's guy when it comes to music and a 70’s guy when it comes to audio gear...

Last edited:
You are not alone there my friend!
Constant, 24/7
I have to keep busy so it don't drive me nuts!! GRRRRRR!!!
Music is but a distant memory having been replaced by just a bunch of noise If I do try to listen.
Same here. 30 years working in close contact with turbine engines and high speed gearboxes tends to wipe out your hearing and give you horrible ringing tinnitus in both ears by retirement age.

But I've "trained" my brain not to allow it to take center focus. It's always there, but for the most part, I simply ignore it and it gets pushed into the background. It a bit exhausting at times as a percentage of my concentration is always focused on "not" hearing the ring, so my brain is never "off" and it never relaxes.

But if it's dead quiet, rrrrRRRIIINGGGGG!

I need something else in the environment that's making sound to redirect my focus to. As soon as I notice the ringing, it builds on itself until I can manage to push it back into the background.

the other thing is it's pretty much right at the tone they use in movies when they want to show the ears ringing after an explosion. If that comes on the TV, it's instant white hot pain in my brain as it tries to fry my brain cells.

Ignoring tinnitus isn't an easy thing, but you can learn to do it after a couple years of trying. The alternative for me was to go (more) insane.....

Last edited:
Same here. 30 years working in close contact with turbine engines and high speed gearboxes tends to wipe out your hearing and give you horrible ringing tinnitus in both ears by retirement age.

But I've "trained" my brain not to allow it to take center focus. It's always there, but for the most part, I simply ignore it and it gets pushed into the background. It a bit exhausting at times as a percentage of my concentration is always focused on "not" hearing the ring, so my brain is never "off" and it never relaxes.

But if it's dead quiet, rrrrRRRIIINGGGGG!

I need something else in the environment that's making sound to redirect my focus to. As soon as I notice the ringing, it builds on itself until I can manage to push it back into the background.

the other thing is it's pretty much right at the tone they use in movies when they want to show the ears ringing after an explosion. If that comes on the TV, it's instant white hot pain in my brain as it tries to fry my brain cells.

Ignoring tinnitus isn't an easy thing, but you can learn to do it after a couple years of trying. The alternative for me was to go (more) insane.....
I just crank up the volume.

I've slipped down the chain with Motorhead lately. Sometimes simple is good.

Speaking of Motorhead, a while back I became curious about the song "The Train Kept a Rollin'".

My introduction was the Aerosmith version,

but it was earlier recorded by the Yardbirds

earlier yet by Johnny Burnett,

and originally by Tiny Bradshaw.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ci4EQDD4CqA

Back