What Chuck to use in rotary table?

Calandrod

Registered
Registered
What should I look for in a Chuck to go on a rotary table? Any special considerations?

You need to provide more details on the rt, the machine its going on and the intended use.

otherwise, the answers you’re going to get are going to be like “one that fits”, etc.

Well I haven’t bought a rotary table and honestly don’t know what to look for in that either. But I have a Bridgeport and I know I want a rotary table so I can cut radii on different parts.

If you have neither you can get a package with both.

We got a velvor 6 inch dividing head from Ali for 399 shipped.

It comes with a 3 jaw chuck that can be removed to then have rotary table.

Great setup.

It does consume some space if used horizontally though.

The size of your mill dictates what you can use.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

I have a Vertex 8" rotary table with a Bixon 6" 3-jaw chuck, and made my own backplate for quick on/off and centering. Some video details of making the backplate can be seen here. You can see the system in use here.
Pay attention to required Z-height when selecting your rotary and chuck.

I picked up an inexpensive 4-jaw with no backplate for mine, and have been quite pleased with it. My rotab is a 10" and I use an 8" chuck. Independent jaws mean I can dial in odd parts (which is usually what I need when I drag out the rotab). I have a ER40 collet chuck that I *could* use, but never have.

As a last note: I use my rotary table pretty infrequently. If you're just getting tooled up, take a good, hard, look at what you want to do (and think about alternate ways to do them). In my case a rotary table is way down the list of tooling priorities.

GsT

Well I haven’t bought a rotary table and honestly don’t know what to look for in that either. But I have a Bridgeport and I know I want a rotary table so I can cut radii on different parts.
An 8" or larger rotary table with chuck is heavy and awkward. I use mine more often since I put a 1/4 ton hoist next to mill.

Back