What could I possibly be doing wrong?

I've been following along. I didn't make any suggestions because I didn't have any better opinions to offer.

Good to see you sorted it out.

However, now I'm confused. What happened to the 100 tooth gear indicated on the chart?
Did you count the teeth and only found 92 (another chart error?)?
Is 92 a typo? please elucid
I've been following along. I didn't make any suggestions because I didn't have any better opinions to offer.

Good to see you sorted it out.

However, now I'm confused. What happened to the 100 tooth gear indicated on the chart?
Did you count the teeth and only found 92 (another chart error?)?
Is 92 a typo? please elucidate.
Yes typo I meant 96! My apologies, Okay so after a lot of messing about, as you see i took the recommended gear setup, which I doubted until today once I removed the spindle pulley etc I realised that the 3 top gears were irrelevant and the headstock and them gears had a 1:1 ratio, then I realised I was fitting the gears correctly, however as you can see from my previous diagrams with all the drive gear set ups and knob selectors, you can see some of them on the supplied chart were correct but some of them were off. Someone on this thread mentioned that not all the diagrams are accurate and can sometimes be off so I played about with the gear cogs leaving the gear knobs on C-3 to try and find my thread pitch with different gear combinations. So at first with the recommended gear setup I was getting a reading of 1.32mm pitch, I then put the 63 tooth cog on the lead screw took another reading and I can’t remember what it was now but was marginal, I had to slow the chain down and thought changing to the 96t gear would do this To be totally honest it was all abit of luck trial and error a few days of messing around with it…. Possibly even more hair loss! Most of the chart is correct I highlighted green for the ones that were correct, and red for the few that weren’t, the gear combination 30t-96t-70t-63t with all the selector knobs being in the position they should be in seem to fit (highlighted in green) I know there were some discrepancies with other gear combinations, I will have a look at them another time, it’s quite time consuming. I’ve started to make my own chart which I know is precise for future reference. However the recommended gear combination for let’s say a 0.75mm thread pitch, 30/100/54t/72t selector knobs C-3 isn’t correct however I found that the 30/100/70/56 on A-1 is in fact 0.75mm pitch not the stated 0.7… I’ve written my findings on a piece of paper to keep note of them because the diagram written on the lathe is completely wrong in a lot of cases. The chart I’ve made so far is 100% accurate, will be trying different gear combinations in the future and will upload my findings. It’s 5am I hope I’ve made some sense. Thankyou

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 144
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 146
Last edited:
If you can’t make sense of that I fully understand, I will clarify things when I’m not half asleep, yes the 100t cog is 100t to answer your original question. Thanks again. I’m off to catch some flies.. goodnight.

I'm interested too- what possessed you to swap the 56 tooth gear for the 63? Intuition? Wild guess?
Also wondering about the 92 tooth, where did he come from?
-Mark
Hi mark that was a typo I’m Tired of change gears haha, after a few days of playing around I guess I was never going to achieve the results with the combination on the chart so decided to try and make my own combination leaving the selector knobs for a pitch of 1.25 C-3 and trying different gear combinations as well as testing the pitch for the changed gear, Luckily enough I cracked the code second time round, I suppose intuition/wild guess all play a role. Thank you for your time.

Be sure to double check the chart on the half nut gauge to ensure the line to use will generate the correct output with your new gear configuration.

Good job on sorting this out. Hard to do over the internet.

Wow, this is the worst case of lathe gear problems I have seen. They say these import lathes are "kits" and require some fettling/fiddling but this is ridiculous. And of course it's something which is not immediately apparent until you have the machine set up and running.
Kinda makes me appreciate my humble Atlas even more
-Mark

Last edited:
Wow, this is the worst case of lathe gear problems I have seen. They say these import lathes are "kits" and require some fettling/fiddling but this is ridiculous. And of course it's something which is not immediately apparent until you have the machine set up and running.
-Mark
-Mark
I completely agree, makes you wonder if it had the wrong diagram stuck on or something at the factory..because half of them are practically wrong anyhow.. Well we got there in the end, once again I say thank you to everyone who helped was very much keeping me sain. Thank you all.

I believe what they do in China is just copy the example provided unless someone is looking over the work. Just reference the cheap 123 blocks we all have that don't bolt together, one mistake replicated a million times.........

John

Back