2018 Archive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really nice setup. I need a good manual mill like that in my shop. Nobody sells used equipment for a reasonable price around here. When it seems reasonable its pretty clapped out and the price still isn't reasonable.
Well reasonable is on the eye of the beholder, but it’s clean and just what I’ve been looking for.

Well reasonable is on the eye of the beholder, but it’s clean and just what I’ve been looking for.

That is FOR SURE. I've seen old RF30s sitting on a pallet outdoors around here being offered for 2-3 times what it would cost to buy a brand new RF31 with a stand. Their eye must be beholding something I sure ain't seeing. LOL. Not that I want that. Ultimately I'll probably just buy new. Matt over at PM has a couple knee mills that look like what I would want.

That is FOR SURE. I've seen old RF30s sitting on a pallet outdoors around here being offered for 2-3 times what it would cost to buy a brand new RF31 with a stand. Their eye must be beholding something I sure ain't seeing. LOL. Not that I want that. Ultimately I'll probably just buy new. Matt over at PM has a couple knee mills that look like what I would want.
Bob,
I'd decided to order a PM835 from Matt and then that evening I saw this and was able to pick it up. It's a "bargain" when compared to new pricing, but I'm ashamed to admit I didn't even haggle--fair price, just what I wanted, dialed in and operational, and less than half what the PM835 would cost me.

Evan

Bob,
I'd decided to order a PM835 from Matt and then that evening I saw this and was able to pick it up. It's a "bargain" when compared to new pricing, but I'm ashamed to admit I didn't even haggle--fair price, just what I wanted, dialed in and operational, and less than half what the PM835 would cost me.

Evan

Nothing wrong with that. I will often pay asking price if its fair. I don't have to beat somebody up if they aren't trying to rook me.

I picked up a 10" faceplate and MT5 to MT3 sleeve for my lathe from Grizzly. My DF1224g is 60mmx8tpi so I'll have to open up the 2 1/4" x 8tpi on the faceplate. I'm set now. I have the gears, fellow rest, steady rest already. All parts picked off various machine parts lists that would fit.

Travelled to Johannesburg and pick up a few small things I had won at auctions over the part couple of months (the auction house knows me and seem quite happy to store my smaller purchases until I’m next in town).
One item was a 6” vise for repair - brought it cheap and thought it would be a nice project to get it going again, main problem was it was missing its lead screw so should be a good learning experiance to make a new one.
It has a few ‘opps’ moment which I intended to fill and machine back, but one on closer examination is threaded so may be factory - but I don’t know what for.
Any ideas what the threaded hole circled would be for?
59FEB3F0-1189-4EEF-84F3-82C2AAAA6FB5.jpeg

Its there to teach the operator to pay attention next time. Drill AND tap too deep. Just my guess. It could be a special hold down screw. Does it still have the nut? Or is that another part you'll have to engineer? It looks like a robust vice.

Its there to teach the operator to pay attention next time. Drill AND tap too deep. Just my guess. It could be a special hold down screw. Does it still have the nut? Or is that another part you'll have to engineer? It looks like a robust vice.

Only has the two castings, the jaws (pretty banged up), and the hold down plates for the moving jaw - so plenty to engineer. But as you say it is robust so I figured it would be a sacrificial source for cast iron if all else fails.
The hole does seem very central on the way (almost too central to be accidental) but it is only on one of them.
May of been for some custom fixture, if I can’t find a use for it I will just fill it.

I have two lathes; a G0709 14" x 40" and a Clausing 5418 12" x 24". Each has a HF tool cart for accessories. The G0709 is my go to and is well stocked with everything. So, been impulse buying for the Clausing so I don't have to steal stuff out of the G0709 box. Picked up a set of digital inside mics from 0.2" - 1.2" and 1" to 2" for the Clausing (already have a set on the Grizzly). Just my personal preference, I really like the mechanical digital type mics. Also bought a set of 0-1" and 1"-2" screw pitch mics for the Clausing. The Grizzly has the same sets and a 2-3" set too.

20180310_082804.jpg
20180310_082900.jpg

Also picked up a few things for my Bridgeport. I have a set of angle gauge blocks that goes from 1 deg. to 30 deg., but didn't have a 1/2 deg. block. Yeah, pretty poor excuse for picking up a set of 1/2 deg. to 5 deg. ones but they were only $10 delivered.

Also picked up an Interapid 312 vertical style DTI. Really smooth movement on this one. The crystal was really scratched up but used my dad's old trick of polishing the lens with toothpaste. Came out pretty clear, not back to factory shipped but very readable. Plus it's an Interapid so 'nuff said.

Lastly, an electronic edge finder. Many sellers of these on eBay for around $15. Yeah, I know, static readings only so no compensation for spindle/collet run out, but my BP spindle is spot on. R8 collets and ER collet chuck is around 0.001" so good enough for anything I do. Have a 20 mm R8 collet on the way from overseas also, edgefinder has a 20 mm shank and a 10 mm ball. My Anilam CNC controller has an inch/metric switch so easy/peasie finding the edge in metric and switching back to inch.

Bruce

20180310_082357.jpg
20180310_082446.jpg
20180310_082459.jpg
20180310_082529.jpg
20180310_082613.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back