What Do I Have Here? (vintage Covel Sg)

If you ever have a need for some extra room in your garage, I'd be glad to store the SG for you. Just give me time to find a trailer to haul it to the storage building..............;>0.

It's hard to say what to use until you get your Hands on it, and get of a manual somehow, if possible. Between what was originally supposed to be in there, and any way the machine has been upgraded since (happens all the time), you'll have to make a judgement call.

Any luck searching for a manual online? Did it come with one?

Bernie

Bernie

I don't actually know the model number. That image I posted is not legible to me. I may just have to be patient until I get it on Saturday. And I need to do some drywall work in his new shop before I can let myself even look at the machine (or I won't get the work done). I hate being patient!

If you ever have a need for some extra room in your garage, I'd be glad to store the SG for you. Just give me time to find a trailer to haul it to the storage building..............;>0.
Funny you should mention as I just finished making room for it. :)

20150422_201258.jpg

Pic is showing sideways in this view for some reason, and the rotate button doesn't seem to do anything except make the window scroll a little.

Anyway, still a little more work to do to move that wood scrap to the opposite side of the garage, trading places with the drill press. I can't have a surface grinder spitting all over my hardwood.

Turns out it's a Covel Type 6. :)

With my brother's help, and his MASSIVE, solid engine hoist (4"? thick wall square tubing; the most impressive engine hoist I've ever seen) we got it loaded onto the trailer along with some other equipment he passed on to me. Then with a hand truck, several ratcheting cargo straps, and my wife's help to tip it back, go slowly down the ramp (she was on the side, not in the path of potential injury), and lower it gently, we got it unloaded. Getting it up onto the nearly-as-heavy (well, maybe 50% the weight, but still very heavy) base will have to wait for another day. He also gave me a Harbor Freight truck bed crane that he doesn't need anymore since he has the hoist and a gantry crane in his new shop. I'm going to figure out a way to rig that up to get the grinder onto the base.

Generally it seems to be in very good shape. The table transverses VERY smoothly. The crossfeed moves okay, but requires a bit more effort. The vertical movement is quite tight. I didn't force it, just tried to turn it until it was clear that it isn't moving freely. As I type this I realize there may be a lock/clamp screw or whatever that is preventing it from moving easily. Didn't occur to me to look for one, I was just checking it out for a minute while waiting for him to grab the chain to lift it into the trailer.

The power switch is missing so it's hardwired to be always on. There's another power cord there for something else, perhaps an old coolant pump? Haven't spent more than 4 or 5 seconds on that.

The grinding wheels (2 mounted together currently) are in poor shape, but should clean up well. They seem rather fine, but I need to track down the arbor wrench/key (what's the correct term?) to pull it off so I can see the label to know exactly what is on it. But I suspect the fine grit wheels may have influenced my brother's opinion of this machine being not very useful. The whole time we were loading it up I kept looking longingly at the mill in the other corner, but he's keeping it. Someday...

He also gave me six quarts of MasterChem A/C Flush (80% Heptane, 20% Isopropanol) that he doesn't need anymore. Should work very well for cleaning this thing up. Doesn't leave a residue like most of the other stuff I was thinking of using.

Anyway, lots of work ahead. I haven't found a manual yet, but I've only spent about 10 minutes searching so far. If anyone has one or knows where to find one I would GREATLY appreciate that info!

- Jon

Sorry for the "grungy" look of the photos. My phone camera is very low quality, so I have to crank up the contrast and clarity to pull out useful detail. That makes everything look more dirty and rough than it actually is.

20150426_164020.jpg
20150426_164029.jpg

20150426_164106.jpg
Note that in this photo the handwheel is spinning.
20150426_164121.jpg

20150426_164055.jpg

The ways look great to me so far (we'll see once I clean up the goop). These photos show dust and such that got on there during the moving process, but I don't see any actual damage or deep wear.

20150426_164210.jpg

20150426_164227.jpg

20150426_164044.jpg

20150426_164306.jpg

20150426_164856.jpg

20150426_164902.jpg

20150426_164939.jpg

You can see the wheel guard in this shot. For some reason the mounting holes aren't lining up with the wheel. Have to figure that out or make a new bracket. So far that's the biggest problem I've spotted, so that's good news. :)

20150426_172423.jpg

My brother was using those two blocks at the top left as wheel chocks. He said he wasn't sure what they were for so eventually he put them to use. :)

I found the angle plates, v-blocks, and 1-2-4 blocks (laminated ones) in a box of grinding and cutoff wheels that I inherited earlier this year. The arbor wrench/key thing was in there as well, as was the diamond dressing tool. I forgot to get those out for the picture. The holey 1-2-3 blocks are my own.

Back