What do I have here?

N8PDX

Registered
Registered
I got this as part of an auction lot, and I can’t identify it’s purpose. It’s like a lathe cross slide with the addition of a bevel gear in the middle that rotates the perpendicular post in time with the lead screw. When the lead screw handle is turned once, the slide advances and the post/shaft makes one rotation. The collar graduations show linear travel (0.125” per rotation). The reference line on the collar is located such that I think the post would be pointing away from the operator. Any guesses?

IMG_2557.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2558.jpeg
    IMG_2558.jpeg
    437.1 KB · Views: 39
That looks like it would be used to make spiral face grooves, just like the scroll on a three jaw chuck, or a spiral cam.

How else would auto downfeed be driven?
Upon further inspection I may have been looking at it 'backwards' - that is, as if the clapper were at the end of the rotating post rather than going into the ram. Mine is pawl driven, but if you assume there's a gear (or several) missing from the shaft (to be driven by the pawl) I can see what you're saying.

GsT

Yes, correct! Power downfeed would be nice, my shaper, a Gould & Eberhardt 20-24 full universal does not have power downfeed, but does have power upfeed on the saddle, also with rapid travel; almost as good as power downfeed on the ram, which I would see as more convenient for angular shaping.

I had to find a video to visualize it, and yes that looks like what I have here - thanks!
The comment about spiral cams gives me an idea of how I might find a use for it.

Back