What do I need for a steam plant?

ErichKeane

Making scrap at ludicrous speed.
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
So a while back I build a PM #3 and had a lot of fun! BUT I only ran it on air, not steam.

I'd love to put together a steam plant, but don't really know all of what I need! I watched Blondihacks, and she seems to just hook the engine up to a boiler. Others seem to have a tank and transfer pump!

I am leaning towards picking up the bigger PM boiler (the horizontal one), but was wondering if I should also pick up a transfer pump and water tank? Will I regret not doing all 3 together?

Also, presumably either way I would need a displacement oiler? Are the PM Research ones pretty good?

Is there anything else I would be missing?

Up front, steam is dangerous. Follow up on precautions for a pressure cooker, very low pressure but still to be careful. I have modeled steam engines for years. They are run on compressed air because I don't want to deal with a boiler. In a locomotive boiler, above the firebox is a "crown sheet". Other types of boilers have a similar arrangment that I am not too familiar with. The boiler must never be allowed to run dry. In that locomotive boiler, the crown sheet must never be allowed to do so.

For short run times, this is not a big issue. For extended or continuous service, an injector and associated pump is vital. As is a sight glass to monitor the water level. Further, the boiler must be at least 'silver soldered', preferably along the bottom so it can remain covered by water in the fluid state. Sof solder will melt out. Quinn runs her boiler for short periods to prove her work. Toy boilers are run until they run out of power.(steam) For extended running, care is needed constantly for the fire and boiler.

I am not trying to put you off the idea, merely to know and understand what you are dealing with. I would suggest you study up on boilers before attempting to build a steam plant. Steam is a hobby of its' own, the engines can be purchased ready(?) to run. As can boilers. But when they explode, which they do, the results are beyond the comprehension of a novice. Steam volumn is some sixteen(16) times that of water. Superheated steam is usually not seen on hobby boilers, only on commercial sized plants. That 16:1 volumn has to be kept somewhere. That is the purpose of a boiler. When a boiler fails, the steam expands, often carrying shrapnel along with it. Normal boiler pressure can be as low as 20 PSIg for a hobby plant. Or as high as 300 PSIg for a commercial plant. Be ready. . .

Oh yeah, I intend this to run on a bench in my shop at most. I already have a steam engine that I build from castings, but am thinking of just another project :) I see PM Research suggests their hand-pump to help 'pressure test' the unit, so perhaps I should do that as well. The boilers seem to come with a sight glass and pressure release, which is part of the reason I want to go with a 'kit' rather than try to solve all these problems myself, like Quinn did.

Hrm, so I sorta impulse bought at least the start of a steam plant. I picked up the PM Research Hand Pump and Water Tank. The water tank seems to use a lot of the techniques I'll need for the boiler (riveting + silver solder), and the hand pump seems like a good addition to it. If I feel comfortable after the build, I'll perhaps pick up the boiler.

Worst case, I just blew $100 on a pair of quick machining projects.

Have you thought about using a flash boiler?
If it blows its way less dangerous than a standard boiler, look it up.

Have you thought about using a flash boiler?
If it blows its way less dangerous than a standard boiler, look it up.
I have not thought about that, as I was today years old when I first heard of one!

I will have to see if I can find any model steam builders doing that.

I built the PM vertical boiler, it was a lot of fun. They supply the solder and flux so that takes a lot of research/guesswork out of the build.
here is a link to steam plants layouts (it is kind of burred on their site). Make sure the boiler is well sized to your engine.

Keith Appleton on YouTube is a wealth of knowledge for all things steam. He has several detailed steam plant builds in playlists.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Back