What do I need to make this boring bar holder work?

joe_m

Active User
Registered
Yet another newbie question here.

I bought a BXA sized toolholder set a few months back and one of the pieces was a boring bar holder that looks like this:

http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=4443&category=

It says it's for 3/4" and 1" sized shanks, but most of my boring bars are 1/2" shank. I've been googling terms like bushing and sleeve and came up with this page:

http://www.roviproducts.com/toolholderbushings.htm

Is something on that page what I need to get the holder to take a 1/2" shank boring bar? If not, what is the correct term that I need to be googling for and is there maybe a set out there that I can buy just in case I stumble on bars with yet another shank size like 1/4, 3/8, 5/8 etc.?

thanks
Joe

Last edited:
You can make something like the boring bar bushing on the page you posted the link to. Just a piece of 1" stock with a 1/2" bore and some set screws.

I agree with OldMachinist, make an adapting sleve, easy on your lathe. If you find the drilled 1/2" hole is too tight, slit the bushing lengthwise with a hacksaw.

Chuck

480.2283.jpgAs you can see in the photo , there's already a sleeve in there that you can remove to insert a 1" bar. Take that sleeve out and make one that goes from 1" to 1/2" patterned after the one thats there. Maybe make it out of aluminum so you can get it to tighten with those set screws. I have one that I'm gonne do the same thing with. I haven't gotten round to it yet, I'm waiting for a piece of suitable aluminum bar stock to show up in my garage.:whistle:

480.2283.jpg

i used a small length of hydraulic tube. i think i had to turn a small bit off the od, then i used a cut off wheel in a die grinder. i left the old sleeve in it. . . . . took about 15 minutes and works great.

Just like Old Machinist says. Setting up, and repairing multi-spindle screw machines; (Gildemeisters, Conomatics, Brown and Sharpe, Davenports, Acmes, New Britains, etc.) I had to make those all the time for every tool configuration you could think of.

I have a set of Phase II carbide tipped boring tools with a 3/4" shanks that fit right into mine.
These come in three diameters and various lengths.

I also have a long 3/4" bar with a square hole on the end and set screw that will take 3/16 square bits

I use shop ground bits to bore, counter bore, and thread.

Internal-thread-relief.jpg Bore-to-fit-shaft.jpg

Back