What do less technical people do with these new fangled electronics

A couple of years back I had one of the local Frontier techs at my house. I mentioned that I had been on the phone with tech support. He turned, giving me a puzzled look and said "What are you talking about? We don't have tech support. "
My son switched to Frontier, and I'm sure that's a joke about not having tech support. He likes it. He's switched to get 1gb up and down.. He needed it for work, and gaming... I'm sure it's the gaming more... And they dropped cable so they stream..

He gave me the EERO's they gave him, but Frontier quickly disabled them. damn.. I went and bought EEROs. I have Aluminum siding, and the eeros allow me to get a connection outside , which the previous router did not. Unfortunately, there's not much control of an EERO.. I don't need dyndns any more... so I'm ok,but if I ever decide to open ports again for apps..... oh wait, I'm retired, who needs that.

@WobblyHand, I have been with Britespeed, formerly Centurylink, formerly Centurytel, etc. for over twenty five years and I can empathise regarding tech support. Later this month, another provider will be activating fiber optic service in our location and we will be switching providers. They are a loval company and you a real person still answers the phone . Hopefully, they will be providing a more personal service. The 80x increase in speed will be nice too.
Hope that comes through for you. Especially the more personal service. Getting a bump up in speed by nearly two orders of magnitude is very nice. It's like the bump up from the old acoustic couplers to DSL. Stuff you wouldn't imagine downloading or accessing is now possible. I remember stressing over system updates and having interruptions and having to start over again.

Having the house network down made me appreciate all of it's benefits when it's present. Thankful that everything is restored and updated.

He gave me the EERO's they gave him, but Frontier quickly disabled them. damn.. I went and bought EEROs. I have Aluminum siding, and the eeros allow me to get a connection outside , which the previous router did not. Unfortunately, there's not much control of an EERO.. I don't need dyndns any more... so I'm ok,but if I ever decide to open ports again for apps..... oh wait, I'm retired, who needs that.
These smart routers have been dumbed down as far as control is concerned. But honestly that's mostly good for just about everyone. However it stinks if you are trying to do any diagnostics.

Your ISP probably recognized a foreign router on its network and disabled it. Especially if it recognized it as a different ISP's router. ISP'S like to have their own equipment for multiple reasons. One can be income, a second could be that they can do more remote monitoring for ensuring quality of service. I can definitely see that they want to know who's tapped into their system and that they are authorized. If not authorized, they are assuming you have tapped their line and aren't paying for service. Not saying that was your intention, but they are quite sensitive to theft of service.

Hope that comes through for you. Especially the more personal service. Getting a bump up in speed by nearly two orders of magnitude is very nice. It's like the bump up from the old acoustic couplers to DSL. Stuff you wouldn't imagine downloading or accessing is now possible. I remember stressing over system updates and having interruptions and having to start over again.

Having the house network down made me appreciate all of it's benefits when it's present. Thankful that everything is restored and updated.
We were without voice and internet for nearly 48 hours some six weeks ago when the team installing the fiber optic lines cut through our phone lines. It took out the entire neighborhood and the team called in to report it to Brightspeed. They went through the same b*****it that I go through trying to reach someone that could actually create a repair ticket. I called in when the service went out a went through the usual . "Reboot your modem, what are the lights on the modem, can you call out, etc. It took me several calls and several hours of wasted time and still didn't have a acknowledgement that, yes we are aware that the line has been severed and we are dispatching a repair team. I was on my way fishing two days after the incident and the Brightspeed repair truck was at the site of the break so I stopped to talk to him. Apparently 20+ pairs of wires were involved and he was in the process of splicing the last four pairs. I have found that once you get through the initial barrier, and talk to an local technician, their service is fairly good but that initial barrier would stop a platoon of M1 Abrams tanks. Even worse is trying to deal with their "convenient" chatroom.

These smart routers have been dumbed down as far as control is concerned. But honestly that's mostly good for just about everyone. However it stinks if you are trying to do any diagnostics.

Your ISP probably recognized a foreign router on its network and disabled it. Especially if it recognized it as a different ISP's router. ISP'S like to have their own equipment for multiple reasons. One can be income, a second could be that they can do more remote monitoring for ensuring quality of service. I can definitely see that they want to know who's tapped into their system and that they are authorized. If not authorized, they are assuming you have tapped their line and aren't paying for service. Not saying that was your intention, but they are quite sensitive to theft of service.
No, it was definetly Frontier. My ISP said they didn't care. I bought EERO directly, and am still using it. Same as my old router. The Frontier eero was logging into Frontier. So they were the ones that disabled it.

Back