What do less technical people do with these new fangled electronics

Also I don’t know why they lock mac’s. I thought most routers could clone a mac. Maybe they dont do that anymore.
Yes they do you should have it on the config menus somewhere what wireless router model do you have?

Yes they do you should have it on the config menus somewhere what wireless router model do you have?
I know where it is on mine. I’m not the op. It just seemed like the option wasn’t there on his.

That’s why isp’s offer their own routers and even mesh routers. Streamlines it for them for the people that don’t know how set it up. When I lived in town my fiber companies modem was also a router. I wanted to use my own router due to static routes and port forwards. It was a pain to get their router in pass through mode. Took multiple calls. It was like they had never had that come up.
Well they did, and their software/app was among the worst performing apps I've ever experienced. It told me to make a ridiculous password and then wouldn't remember it, just like any app would. The UI was awful. The Mesh router was meh. Actually it was terrible.

Once I got past the level 1 screeners, things got moving. The level 2 people seemed like they knew what they were doing, the level 1 folks, not so much.

Well they did, and their software/app was among the worst performing apps I've ever experienced. It told me to make a ridiculous password and then wouldn't remember it, just like any app would. The UI was awful. The Mesh router was meh. Actually it was terrible.

Once I got past the level 1 screeners, things got moving. The level 2 people seemed like they knew what they were doing, the level 1 folks, not so much.
As always level 1 is the least paid job ever.

That’s why isp’s offer their own routers and even mesh routers. Streamlines it for them for the people that don’t know how set it up. When I lived in town my fiber companies modem was also a router. I wanted to use my own router due to static routes and port forwards. It was a pain to get their router in pass through mode. Took multiple calls. It was like they had never had that come up.
Why? Did you mod their config. Nice of them to have given you access to the router. Or you can supply your own and do the configs yourself not to much but a hassle sometimes. Or get another router and do your own routing port forwarding or firewall if you want

Edit: after their modem router

I didn't check. Level 1 Google support told me they didn't have that ability. Wouldn't be the first time the level 1 people were wrong... My ISP installers didn't know a lot of things, like being able to change your subnet. They insisted it was impossible. They were wrong.

Just checked now. There is no way to clone the MAC address, or change it.

Why? Did you mod their config. Nice of them to have given you access to the router. Or you can supply your own and do the configs yourself not to much but a hassle sometimes. Or get another router and do your own routing port forwarding or firewall if you want
The irony is that there was a switch on the bottom to turn it to pass-through but it I remember they had to configure some stuff. I had basic access to their router but not much more than that. I think I could of set static ip’s and forwarding but my router was already set up to do it.

As always level 1 is the least paid job ever.
Suppose that would be expected, they aren't the super one's. The higher level people can solve the tougher problems, so I suppose they should be rewarded. Sure wouldn't want to do the level 1 job, lots of hanging on the phone line waiting for people to reset their modems.

Suppose that would be expected, they aren't the super one's. The higher level people can solve the tougher problems, so I suppose they should be rewarded. Sure wouldn't want to do the level 1 job, lots of hanging on the phone line waiting for people to reset their modems.
Yep, but people start from there and move up the chain eventually.

Question: What do less technical people do with these new fangled electronics

Answer: They call me, then I get to tear my hair out figuring out the new and "improved" hardware.

Spent an hour with my ISP trying to get my speed back UP to the usual 1.1 mbps. (I don't want to hear any of you whining about your speeds). It was clocking in the .2-.4 range. She told me to turn off the router to disconnect all of the wi-fi devices (I was on an ethernet connection) and run a speedtest. I reminded her that the device they provided to me was a combination modem/router (they have been for over a decade) and turning it off would disconnect me completely. I think she got offended when I asked if she was new at this. She then directed me to their company branded speed test instead of speedtest.net. Suspiciously, their test reported higher speeds than the generic one, even though they are both powered by Ookla.

Back