What do you guy's think of this faceplate for $125?

Shootymacshootface

I make little metal out of big metal.
Registered
I could easily cut the back and bolt on a 6" L00 backplate. I have never used a faceplate on a lathe but I have seen people do amazing things with one. This one looks like it would have all of the bases covered. I think that I could set up just about anything on it.
What say you all?
Screenshot_20200318-102615_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20200318-102640_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20200318-102646_Samsung Internet.jpg

If you have the tools, the stones, and the will- you can do just about anything!
You might wanna check on ebay to see if there may be alternatives before putting work into modification, but if that fails there us always Plan A !
Good luck whichever road you find

Ebay has a bunch of L0 faceplates available at that price already. After the cost of a faceplate (plus this) you likely are back the cost of something like this:
(ends up ~$200 shipped for me).

This ends up being about the same price to me:

After ebay for everything with an L00 mount the best thing that I could find was actually my original plan. It's a 10" backplate from CME.
Screenshot_20200319-101558_eBay.jpgScreenshot_20200319-101629_eBay.jpg
I am waiting to hear back from the tool wholesaler on that 11" faceplate. I know they have some wiggle room because they buy out entire machine shops and resell everything for profit. Plus I'm local and there would be no shipping. I really like the that it has t-slots. There might even be enough material on the faceplate's mount to cut enough of my taper into it and thread the outside. I know a guy with a lathe. So, just waiting to hear back from him today on a price.

So, I struck a deal for $100 for the 11" faceplate. I arranged to pick it up yesterday (Friday) afternoon. I let him know that I was on my way (by messaging him thru his company's website), and he replied that he may not be there because his employee had to leave early. He said that he would just leave it outside if he has to leave. I pull up to the building and my faceplate was outside like he said it would be. I brought $100 and an envelope jic I had to leave the money. I couldn't find anywhere safe to leave it, the building was too tight to slip it in anywhere, and the mailbox was right on the side of the road. I messaged him and said that I couldn't find anywhere safe to leave the payment, and asked if I could pay him electronically. He replied Merry Christmas, make something good with it.
My gut feeling says that he may have been wierded out over making contact with someone with all this virus stuff going on, and just wanted me to go away.
I still plan on paying him. Maybe I will stop in, in person after things ar back to normal.

Gosh, that’s awesome.
Make him a cool top or something that he can fiddle with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That a good idea. I could make him a nice polished aluminum business card holder with his company logo for a background.
Thanks!

Back