What do you keep your tooling in when not used

Here is a link to a collection of images with descriptions covering how I store most of my mill and lathe tooling.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmxkvQLt
David,very well organized! That is along the line of thinking I have for storing my tooling. The only downside I have is that my tooling is right adjacent to where I work on my car. If I am cutting on it or sanding there is a lot of airborne dust to contend with. My car is a midyear Corvette so the body is all fiberglass.

I have gotten some sheets we no longer use to cover my machines, I am hoping that is good enough, other wise I will be using tarps or something else to be determined. Anyone have suggestions?

I use sheets for the same reason, I'd like a custom made cover similar to a grill cover for the lathe and the mill. I'd think it might allow it to breathe a little, and provide a more adequate dust barrier

I use sheets for the same reason, I'd like a custom made cover similar to a grill cover for the lathe and the mill. I'd think it might allow it to breathe a little, and provide a more adequate dust barrier
I thought the sheets would be good because I could wash them frequently or whenever they came off to use a machine they would go in for washing. That way I wouldn’t have to worry about which side was dust free or not.

I assume you mean you are working on the Corvette and concerned about fiberglass dust getting into your tools. My mill and metal lathe are in my woodworking shop which is far more extensive than the metal working part with sliding table saw, 20” jointer planer, spindle shaper, massive dust collector, wide belt sander, etc. I’m primarilary a cabinet and furniture maker, so I have the same concerns.

What I have learned is that metal working equipment and sawdust producing equipment do not like sharing space. I think you will find that bed sheets do not sufficiently shield the metal working equipment and tools from the fine dust created when sanding even if washed daily. What I use to cover the machines and tool carts is a painters tarp made of heavy woven canvas with a spill-proof backing that blocks all the fine dust particles, and that can be sourced at a professional painter supply shop. A quick blow-down with compressed air is sufficient to creep them clean and does not force the fines through the backing.

Probably not quite what you're asking, but here's my modified rolling tool cart. I made all the racks except the plastic ones for the Allen and Torx holders. Also, here are a couple of collet racks I made. I had two objectives: 1. optimize the space I have (at least that was the excuse); and 2. Practice, practice, practice. These were not particularly difficult projects, but I learned a little about layout and machining methods.

Regards,
Terry
View attachment 285368View attachment 285369View attachment 285370View attachment 285371View attachment 285372View attachment 285373View attachment 285374View attachment 285375View attachment 285376View attachment 285377
Wow!

Bruce

Wow - these pictures are great. I need to get going putting my tooling some drawers and/or cabinets.

Thanks all for the great idea!

Speaking of tooling, I have a collet question? Is there a major quality difference in Collet's? If so what is a happy medium. I don't want to break the bank but I don't want junk.

Probably not quite what you're asking, but here's my modified rolling tool cart.
Love the wrench holders Terry . I have plenty of angle aluminum and now know what to use it for . :encourage:

Back