What do you wear? Keeping chips out of your non-machining life...

I do wear my wedding ring at work and any other place where I'm likely to die or get seriously injured because I don't want my wife coming to identify the body and seeing I wasn't wearing it....

But, never in the shop or any place where high voltage is involved. When I was a young man I worked on industrial video projectors and back then you had to reach inside of them to adjust all the stuff that's done with remote controls today. Just the thought of a flyback converter contacting a piece of metal attached to my body kept me from wearing jewelry of any kind throughout my 20's and 30's.

Oh, and what I do now, always wear different shoes in the shop than what I use in the house and have some really cool lab coats hanging by the door if I think I'll get chips on me.

John

I haven't worn my wedding ring since we were married. For a good portion of my life I worked as a mechanic and did machining too. I have two friends that don't have their ring fingers from jumping down of of equipment and having the ring get hung up. Another shorted a the positive terminal on an 8D battery with his ring to ground. Melted the ring and had to be cut off. His finger never worked right after that.

No wife knows I don't were it and understands. Don't wear watches either. When I carried on it was a pocket watch.

I haven't worn my wedding ring since we were married. For a good portion of my life I worked as a mechanic and did machining too. I have two friends that don't have their ring fingers from jumping down of of equipment and having the ring get hung up. Another shorted a the positive terminal on an 8D battery with his ring to ground. Melted the ring and had to be cut off. His finger never worked right after that.

No wife knows I don't were it and understands. Don't wear watches either. When I carried on it was a pocket watch.

I once had my ring get caught when I was jumping a fence... not a good experience. Luckily, not much harm done and my finger healed normally. Not a wedding ring... this was way before I was married...

I used my wedding ring during my wedding and for about a few weeks after it... I lost it during lunch time when I took it off and placed it on the food tray... it went into the trash after I was done eating. Got another one, lost it as well... all this within a month of being married... I have not used a wedding ring since...

A watch is another thing... love mechanical watches and have the bad habit of not removing them at all... and the condition of my watches reflect that... scratches, nicks on the glass, etc. So I have really had to work hard at remembering to take my watch off before working in the mill or the lathe.

Always loved the look and feel of pocket watches... I still would like to own one but find that anything new sold as a pocket watch are of very low quality... but I digress...

Most pocket watches these days run on Android. Maybe a few on iOS.

I've never worn rings. We didn't bother with the expense. She wears one strategically when she feels people will treat her better, but she doesn't randomly find herself hopping fences or running power equipment. Batteries are the worst, especially banks of 12 at 24v. Ker-pow!

Back