What Drill Size For A .374" Reamer?

I just drilled and tapped for a set screw to hold the handle in my 4-jaw chuck key. Red locktite would work too.

Keep in mind cold rolled steel rounds measure a few thousanths smaller than nominal. If you ream a hole .374" you won't get a press fit. The other posters made excellent suggestions on how to attach the handle.

Tom S

I have a chuck wrench I made for one of my chucks. The handle has three shallow grooves cut in it, one in the middle, and one about 3/4" from each end. The shank or the part with the cross hole in it has a drilled hole down through the cross hole. I installed a spring and a small bearing ball in the hole. I carefully slid the handle through the hole so the ball detente was positioned in the middle groove of the handle. If you need a little more leverage, slide the handle into one of the end grooves. I'll have to find the chuck wrench and take some pictures and post.

Jim's right. Simply drill the hole, secure the cross handle with loctite. I've done two that way (looks great, works great, no extra spend and got the job done).

Back