What Finish Is This?

Oops!

Registered
Registered
Hi all,

I was wondering if someone could identify what finish this is, on a lever from my PM lathe. It doesn't really look like paint, I think it may be powder coat, but I'm just guessing, and hoping someone might know for sure.

-Doug

IMG_1502.jpg

Or powder coat, does the mating surface look the same?

Looks rather like a bead-blast finish, failing that, use a blade on a hidden area and scrape to see if it is a form of paint (powder-coat is a paint type).

It does look like it was blasted with something, but then wouldn't it rust like crazy unless some kind of coating was applied? Nitride, is that a thing with steel?

I did a little scratching with an awl and it doesn't look like a paint or powder coating, the interior threads seem perhaps not the same but still pretty similar in coloration.

IMG_1507.jpg

You can barely make out the tool marks on the top of the hub where it was turned. There is a definite texture to it, it's not a coating giving the roughness (near as I can tell).

IMG_1508.jpg

It did come coated in goop of course, but I'd have to think plain blasted steel would rust in a heartbeat. Then again I can't really see them going through the trouble of nickel plating the handles, but maybe that's a bad assumption on my part. I don't have a blast cabinet (yet), so I can't just wail away on some steel and compare. I'm intending at some point to make a handle for my QCTP and I like this finish so maybe I can re-create it was the hope.

-Doug

It is a blast finish then. Mostly a light coat of oil wiped on and off with a rag will help to stop corrosion.

Personally I use Vactra 4 Way oil as a protectant which is what my late father did when he had his Myford. He never had a problem, neither have I.

It is a blast finish then. Mostly a light coat of oil wiped on and off with a rag will help to stop corrosion.

Personally I use Vactra 4 Way oil as a protectant which is what my late father did when he had his Myford. He never had a problem, neither have I.

I suppose, why would they goop the handles up if they were all protected by some form of coating already, like they don't goop up the painted parts. Good idea on the way oil, but all I have is Vactra 2 so I'll have to go shopping ;)

Thank you both for the input!

-Doug

I suppose, why would they goop the handles up if they were all protected by some form of coating already, like they don't goop up the painted parts. Good idea on the way oil, but all I have is Vactra 2 so I'll have to go shopping ;)

Thank you both for the input!

-Doug

Vactra 2 will be fine. I just use the Vactra 4 because it is thicker and stays put better.

Back