What have you done in your shop lately?

Ok,
That works two ways, when your wife is somewhere else, is she thinking about those shoes she saw at the dress shop or the new pool boy?
I know that’s a sexist remark but ....this could go in many directions

Just remember to give more attention to the living!! Otherwise things can get uncomfortable, the machine will never complain about not seeing you..lol

Poolboy?!!! Ha! As if we’d have the budget for that!

Today I finished machining a new gearbox pulley for my new-to-me Hendey lathe.

20191004_180857.jpg

The original pulley was broken on one side and the groove spacing did not match the motor pulley... so I fixed both problems...

-Bear

Well it’s nothin’ fancy, but I made this not quite perfect chuck wrench. I’ll be testing the long term adhesive ability of loctite with it.

Attachments

• 0685400B-0405-4F79-938E-9798D3EDB71B.jpeg
    0685400B-0405-4F79-938E-9798D3EDB71B.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 29
Well it’s nothin’ fancy, but I made this not quite perfect chuck wrench. I’ll be testing the long term adhesive ability of loctite with it.
That looks really nice. The chuck I have has a spring that pushes it out. What I heard was to prevent users leaving it in there and cause an accident. That makes sense and very nice. However, I really dislike this. I just can't turn quickly with one had. It just keeps flopping and popping out.

Today, I was cleaning up and saw my 1" belt Dayton sander sitting there, never used. So I turned it on and it vibrated a lot. I checked and the top pulley and idler pulley's bearings are both shot. I happened to have 2 bearings of the same size (6203). So great, I will just replace them.
My first notice was that somehow the outer edge of the existing bearing is thin. It can't be so, so it must be embedded inside the pulley (plastic). I proceeded and pushed out the bearing from the small idler bearing and indeed, it sits inside a groove, and pushing it out effectively destroyed it.

So now I have the larger pulley that I am thinking of should I make a pulley, buy one or manage to replace the bearing without destroying it. The only thing that came to my mind to replace it is heat. Get it soft enough and somehow get it out. It doesn't appear to be a good option.

Maybe a car pulley? There are tons out there. Just find 3.5x1" pulley. Maybe I can make an adapter for the inside hole and it's good to go. It costs more than I would like though and still with lots of work.

If I have the right metal, turning it on a lathe with be a pretty short work. I even looked up 3.5" metal caster wheel to see if I can make use of that, but the middle material is too small for boring out to fit the bearings.

Pouring aluminum is just not my thing, not now I think, but it can be a tempting option.

What would you do in this case? If I can, I would prefer not spend a lot of money on this one.

I say grind the lip off so you can press out the old bearing then use some loctite to hold the new bearing in place.

Back