What inserted boring bar?

I know chip clearance is an issue, and seeing a taper with boring bars is a thing if you stop before the job is complete, but pecking and clearing is the solution to chip packing and the taper goes away with spring passes. The radius on your insert makes a difference on finishing, and the DOC is the elephant in the room when discussing the efficacy of boring bars, am I right?
When I'm taking larger cuts in a deep bore I usually bore out an inch at a time to around 0.020" under to control chips. I got lazy on aluminum and it made me regret it. Won't be my last screw up.

I don't regret any of my solid carbide boring bars. All are ccmt or dcmt.

A steel boring bar is typically good for 3-4X the diameter of the bar for max depth of cut - unless you don't care about maintaining any kind of tolerance. A carbide bar is typically good for 7-9X diameter for maximum depth of cut. For this job you would need a 5/8" diameter carbide boring bar that is at least 8-inches long, and that will set you back over $500. Here's one example. Your best bet for this job IMO is to drill slightly undersized and use a 3/4" reamer.
Good info!!! thank you for sharing

Back