What is 416ss like to machine?

Investigator

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Got a project in mind. I'm wondering what 416ss is like to machine. I will mainly be milling deep pockets in round bar, the bar will be turned to correct OD in lathe prior to milling. Just wondering what it might be like. What I have found is 416 annealed. Originally I had considered 7075 Al, but am thinking I need a bit more for longevity and corrosion protection.

416ss is used for rifle barrels and machines fine, chamber reaming and threading are the usual operations.
I also profiled a couple of barrels in a long slow taper and it went great.

My experience with 416 is that it is a work hardening b!%ch of a material that cuts about like case hardened, but the results are really good. I would suggest 316 instead, because it is easier to machine and has nickel in it, making it more corrosion resistant than the nickel-free 400 series.

416 is considered free machining. I've only used it a few times. Machines nice as far as I can remember.

I used 303 extensively in products that I made for the wine industry, it is considered as a "screw machine" stainless, does not work harden, has good corrosion resistance, but not recomended for welding, as it tends to undercut, but using a 308 filler it is OK for that as well. It machines better than. CRS

416 is very nice machining stuff. Maybe not as good as 303, but much better than 304 or 316. A friend recently brought me some old pump shaft to make into a driveline for the PTO on his service truck. I was afraid it would be 316. Much to my delight it was 416.

416 is very nice machining stuff. Maybe not as good as 303, but much better than 304 or 316. A friend recently brought me some old pump shaft to make into a driveline for the PTO on his service truck. I was afraid it would be 316. Much to my delight it was 416.

x2

I regularly work with 303, 304, 316, 410, 416, 420, 440C and 17-4PH. Industrial valve work, so it's these and a few others over and over and over and over again.

303 and 416 are surely the most forgiving of this lot, but you will find that 416 isn't exactly "great" with corrosion resistance.

Even when hardened to 40-ish HRC it's still pretty easy to machine.

Last edited:
how do you know what grade stainless you have... I often cut what i think is 304 but it came from a donut place. they were the metal conveyor rollers that moved the donuts along. I think it machines fine, or more accurately i just don't know any better. I have a PM727v and often cut it with 1/2 carbide end mills and more recently a fly cutter with a carbide lathe bit. I've made several things out of it and actually love machining it.

300 series if a magnet won't stick to it and it won't be L if it's on food grade equipment .

Back