What is a "pot chuck" (step collet) used for and how do you use it?

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
Hi again, another stupid Nelson Newbie question here:

How does a pot chuck (step collet) differ in capabilities and use from an ordinary chuck, and how is it usually used in the shop?

Also, is a dedicated closer used with it?

Thanks again!

Nelson

Another advantage is that they support the work almost continuously around the dia. so a thin wall part won't be as prone to spring out of round.

Re: What is a "pot chuck" (step collet) used for and how do you use it?

Could you tell me where to get 3C step collet?

You can use them for holding gears when machining the ID, and for making custom shims or washers
As noted, light cuts.
I have a couple of 3C and a 6K one.
I used one here when I modified my reverse gear assembly for my 9" lathe to take 20 DP gears on the stud gear.
[attachimg=1]

I have QCTP's on both my 9" and 10L lathes. I wanted to use the same tool holders on both lathes without readjusting. I measured the difference in height and made a LARGE shim to go under the TP so a pre-set holder is centered on both lathes. I cut a slightly thicker blank and used a pot collet to bore the ID and face both sides and thin to the correct thickness.

Do you want it already cut or a blank ? What max dia do you intend to cut?

"Billy G":whistle:

I would like a blank. I only have a need right now for .500 Dia. But 1.5 max. dia. would be good.

QUOTE=Bill Gruby;71663]Do you want it already cut or a blank ? What max dia do you intend to cut?

"Billy G":whistle:[/QUOTE]

Get one tomorrow. Will be cheap, not to worry.

"Billy G" :whistle:

I use them to hold the TEENIEST amount of precious material possible when turning it. By cutting a dovetail shape around the perimeter of the recess I turn in the chuck,I have been able to hold rare woods and other materials by just 1/32" of it well enough to cut threads in it,and hollow out pill boxes,etc. Hardly any material is wasted. Use a regular 3 jaw chuck,and you are going to waste an inch of it,or so.

I generally find these step collets partially used and they cost only a little,and last forever since I only occasionally need them.

Another good(18th.C.) type chuck is the pitch chuck. It is a round metal chuck with no moving parts. The chuck could be 6" in diameter,1 1/2" deep,and just hollowed out until there is 1/4" thickness of metal around the edges,and maybe 1/2" at the bottom. There would be a neck sticking out the back,threaded to fit the spindle on an old fashioned lathe.

This chuck is poured nearly full of hot pitch,like Burgundy pitch. A pitch of any kind that cools to a pretty HARD state will work. Asphaltum is too soft. You could add some powdered chalk to it to stiffen it up when it is cooled. The odd shaped part you want to hold,like the fancy base for a brass candle stick,is pressed into the heated pitch. The chuck is mounted on the lathe while the pitch is still soft enough to be pliant. The chuck is hand rotated while the item is nudged till it runs on center,so you can cut decorative rings into it,or thread it,etc. The lathe is kept slowly turning till the pitch gets hard(so the part can't start to sag),then,the work can begin. To get the part off,judiciously warm the pitch till the part can be popped off WITHOUT a bunch of TOO SOFT pitch adhering to it. Any pitch that does stick can be removed with a suitable petroleum based solvent easily.

If you make model engines with odd shaped parts that are nearly impossible to grasp for machining,this chuck would be very useful even today. Just be sure to take LIGHT cuts.

If you find this information useful,please write thank you on a $20.00 bill and mail it to me.:)

However, they don't always have to be used for thin stuff.

This one, bought used, is going to hold a 3" lathe chuck (and my ER collet chuck when I finish making it :whistle:), and will be installed in a 5C rotary index.

IMG_1730.JPGIMG_1729.JPG

M

IMG_1730.JPG IMG_1729.JPG

Can anyone tell me where to get a 3C blank step collet ?

Can anyone tell me where to get a 3C blank step collet ?

Just got home. You have a PM

"Billy G"

Back