What is in a #1 - #60 chucking reamer set?

Speaking of reamer sets.
Has anyone used any of these? $15.65 with free shipping from China

I got a metric set like that. Complete garbage hole finish, but surprisingly accurate dimensionally. Left deep scoring on the walls. I save them when I need something drilled to metric size, but don't have an inch drill close enough.

So - what I am getting from this is that a reamer set comprises three for a given size. One is 0.001" oversize, and one is 0.001" undersized.
These then can come as "chucking reamers" and otherwise. I guess it means "short, and without a drilled centre in the end.
Then one can have spiral flutes, for those days when there is (say) a keyway down the hole.
Are there a variety of numbers of flutes. Is six a norm?

So suppose one needs an interference press fit. I had thought that might be 0.0005" undersized - or do we mean that much on a radius?
Maybe the only choice is to work on the size of what gets pressed into the hole instead?

Now add in, what are the common "over and under" amounts when the set is metric? Is it 0.0254mm?

You can tell that there is a whole lot I don't know about reamers. I only have the few that came in the drawers of the bench that came with the lathe. I plan to buy any I need one by one as the need arises. The question is, should one go for the over+under set, one nominal size at a time?

I think it is really dependent on the work you do. Reamers cost 10-20x the price of a drill, so you don't buy them unless you need them or have money to blow IMO. For general purpose use, I think a 0.001" press and 0.001" clearance cover most shop press fits and slip fits. I'm thinking of dowel pins and stuff like that. That is why I got myself an import over/under set for $100. Maybe if you like to have super pretty holes on nominal diameters then a fractional set would be worth it. If you have specific tolerances you need to hit (say -0.0003") then you'll need to source a reamer specifically to do that.

Remember, reamers make round holes with accurate diameters and good circularity, but not necessarily straight holes. To get a straight and accurate hole, it often pays to Drill -> Bore -> Ream.

Adjustable reamers also exist. They require a through hole since they have a fair length at the end of the tool that cannot cut, AND they take some trial and error to set the right diameter, but once they're dialed in, you can use them to accurately ream a whole bunch of through holes at an accurate and arbitrary diameter.

I have a fractional set of L@S and over / under reamers .

Bob, I love McMaster when I can afford them, their shipping costs are high. Their HSS spiral flute-1/16 to 1/2" 29 piece set is only $873.

Jeff, the original poster did not know what wire size bits are. Just helping him with his question. Price is a separate issue. I totally agree with you, McMaster has about the highest prices out there... -Bob

If you intend to make a hole that you will eventually ream with a 3/8" reamer then would you first drill the hole out with a 3/8" drill or a drill slightly less in diameter?

Back