What is it with modern produce

savarin

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I dont know if its me looking back with rose coloured glasses or getting old and loosing my taste buds or just crap memory but I'm getting fed up with the taste or should I say lack of taste of most produce sold today.
Just purchased a bunch of avocados and they are really hit or miss, not in ripeness but taste and all round flavour.
Other than the the giant thumb marks where dumb numbnuts press all over them this batch are impossible to peel, they are ripe, the flesh is full of little gritty brown specs and they taste horrible. my usual method of eating them is peeled and diced and tossed in very hot chilli vinegar salt and pepper, this didnt hide the appalling flavour. up to three so far in this batch, also had this problem before.
Bananas, tasteless cardboard pap, my bananas are awesomely sweet and taste like you know---bananas.
Apples, big, red, juicy, crisp, very little taste.
Chicken, beef, have little taste, pork is pumped so full of water it pours out when cooked and often tastes of the food stock they were fed.
Potatoes so full of sugar you cant get a crispy fry, on and on and on.
Lets not get started on processed foods, why do producers add sugar to beef and chicken stock, and cabbage, eh!
I think I should stop now and fry some awesome tasting tomatoes from my aquaponics system.

Not only produce . Recently I had a major discussion pertaining to water issues . It started out with all the chemicals being injected into foods and migrated onto water quality . I have wells in my properties . When things go wrong they cost $$$$$ . :dunno:We got to talking and he asked this question . Would you want to pay monthly for water that is basicly refurbished treated **** water from the city ? I taste treated water and think I'm in a pool with the chlorine taste and whatever the heck else they put in it . I can drink the water straight out of the ground in the Adirondacks and feel safe about doing so . I'm with you sav , I'll stick to my beer . :drink:

Lets not get started on processed foods, why do producers add sugar to beef and chicken stock, and cabbage, eh!
I worked at McCormick . Their stock took a 45% hit when consumers found out that half the bottle of spices was sugar out of Dominos . Sugar and Spice was their motto . Their stock never recovered , hanging around $65 .

I’ve been in agreement with your supposition for 20ish years. I strongly prefer locally grown, and in season produce. I haven’t liked store bought chicken for 20 years. I’ve also lost my taste for turkey.

Modern crops are hybrids optimized for one thing: weight. As I heard it put by one farmer "They don't pay us per flavor." All else suffers, and the only solution is to grow your own and/or visit your local farmer's markets.

GsT

Have to agree. Went out to my spent garden and harvested a small head of broccoli. We have had hard frost here, and it was the last live plant. I'm sure it will be sweeter and more flavorful than the sad tasteless junk from the grocery store. Home or local grown food is so much better. Nothing like picking food out of your garden and eating on the spot. One of life's pleasures.

Can’t say in other areas but here in the Northeast US , this time of the year most fruits and vegetables are shipped in to the supermarkets and markets . It’s very important that varieties are grown with shelf life and ones that don’t get damaged easily in shipping . Hard to beat homegrown, locally grown is great too in season .

I believe the design criteria for mass distributed food goes something like this, in priority
1. Shelf life
2. Visual appeal
3. Cost to produce
10. Taste

Back