What is it with modern produce

All this talk regarding bad produce has made me pick my latest bunch.
At least these taste awesome.
View attachment 469098
Another couple of days and they will all be ripe.
What does a tree ripe banana taste like?

We all know the store stuff is harvested well into green and ripened with gas, must be more flavor in real ones.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Born and raised in the Central Valley of CA, the place that feeds everyone.

In my Motorola days, my clients were everything from planting to packing.

The best place to service vehicles at one packer was in the cull area.

The riper ones were culled out as the shelf life was too short.

It is not about weight. It is about looks and shelf life.

Customers want good looking product, and most have no clue how it should taste or smell.

Cantaloupe is a simple Mellon. If you look at where the stem is located, it is a simple test.

If there remains any part of a stem, it was not ripe.

The stem separates when ripe, and it leaves a smooth socket.

The flavor is very different, from very little to very high.

Natural ripe is amazing. Grow your own if you can.

There is nothing like a nice, soft, and somewhat mushy peach.

The best flavor is when you can bite a hole in the peeling and just suck out the inside with a gentle squeeze.

When Sam's and Costco hand out samples of fruit, you can always tell the tourists or newcomers as they enjoy the stuff.

The natives not so much, no flavor.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

We are born with about 9000 taste buds. By the time we reach the mid 40's we are down to about 4600. Those that are left tend to shrink and be less sensitive. While the fruits and vegetables are probably changing taste slightly over time, it's more likely that you can't taste things as well as you did when you were 20.

We are born with about 9000 taste buds. By the time we reach the mid 40's we are down to about 4600. Those that are left tend to shrink and be less sensitive. While the fruits and vegetables are probably changing taste slightly over time, it's more likely that you can't taste things as well as you did when you were 20.
I blame all that damn hot pizza cheese!

I did however chomp into a Johnnsonville brat and squirt red hot cheese on my buddy siting adjacent to me.

I laughed, then laughed harder when he got mad at me for laughing which made more people laugh, then he kinda chuckled and smacked me with a chair.

I should have known his chuckle wasn't humorous.

There is no question that if you travel internationally, the same foods taste differently. Although we're losing taste buds as we age, that is not the point here. Same observer, whether child, adolescent, or adult, can detect these differences. Easiest comparison is with fruit. If you go to France (or pretty much anywhere in Europe) fruit off the average grocery store's shelves definitely tastes differently. Same for yogurt, cheese, and many other basics.

Plus, in the US the size and appearance of common fruit (apples, plums, etc) is very homogeneous and fruit is oversized to the point of being grotesque. Fruit elsewhere is more diverse in size and appearance. Then there is the shiny coating on fruit, another fake add-on.

So no question big agribusiness is doing a number on us, and claims consumer demand makes them do it. And these examples -- modified though they are -- are not even highly processed food which are likely very detrimental to our health (why on God's earth do we need high fructose corn syrup in almost everything?)

Last edited:
Whether this is a modern phenomenon or not depends on your definition of modern. I remember comparing my BIL’s home grown tomatoes and onions to store bought ones back in the 70’s. Not even close. The store bought ones paled in comparison even back then.

Tom

Back