What is it?

jworman

Active User
Registered
It seems like at least someone here has seen about everything. I picked this up in a garage sale some time ago because it looked like it was nicely made and it was cheap.

My thought is it may be a device to measure the distance of holes in a flange. On the other hand, we have a near by Air Force base. It may be something that came from there. I also considered it may be some sort of spanner, but I've never seen a spanner with tapered pins.

The only marking on it are: 864212-2-A NGFL

whatisit-small002.jpg

whatisit-small001.jpg

Thanks for looking.

John

whatisit-small002.jpg

whatisit-small001.jpg

whatisit-small002.jpg

whatisit-small001.jpg

Are the holes in the tapered end of those things threaded? My first guess would have been a spanner wrench of some kind...adjustable spanner? I spent 7 years in the Air Force wrenching jets and never saw anything like that...

Yes, they are threaded. I guess I'll leave it on the wall until a task comes up where it looks like it could help. It's too pretty to do anything else with it.

Thanks.

I haven’t seen one of those before, however working around Gas Turbines it wouldn’t surprise me if it is a bit of Pratt special tooling or out of the instrument shop.
It does remind me of those watch back removal tools.

The threaded “prongs” would allow for different heads to be screwed in depending on the socket.

It would seem to be possibly the type of thing used to remove various inspection plugs (also called ports or caps) in engine, airframe or fuel tank casings etc.

Then again I could be completely wrong

Ps as Krv3000 rightly says further down, a type of Pin Wrench

Last edited:
It's a tap wrench for threading 2 holes at once-NOT!!!!

It's a tap wrench for threading 2 holes at once-NOT!!!!

I like your thinking, but "now we have this other problem" :eek:

I suspect I'll use it to measure between holes, and if I screw in pointy pins, it could be fairly accurate. Probably more accurate than my drilling ability.:huh:

John

It looks like a small jig for setting turnbuckle distance. I too work on aircraft and have seen something like this on a bigger scale and made to sit on a bench. When replacing turnbuckles attached to ducts on the engines the center ball might be worn beyond limits so by removing the inner ball section the tapers would allow the rod end housing to sit down on the taper. Making it able to be used on even the most worn parts. Setting the distance and locking it down, you can line up the new parts with great accuracy.

Of course, it could be something completely different.

It looks like a small jig for setting turnbuckle distance. I too work on aircraft and have seen something like this on a bigger scale and made to sit on a bench. When replacing turnbuckles attached to ducts on the engines the center ball might be worn beyond limits so by removing the inner ball section the tapers would allow the rod end housing to sit down on the taper. Making it able to be used on even the most worn parts. Setting the distance and locking it down, you can line up the new parts with great accuracy.

Of course, it could be something completely different.

You know, that sounds reasonable. There are no names like PROTO or CHRAFTSMAN on it, just a number. We have an Air Force base about 10 miles out of town, and articles do seem to find their way into town.

I don't use it much, but one day I think I'll find a job and this will be a big help.

Many thanks to all of you for your opinions. Whatever it was for, I now have a few more ideas as to what it might help out with.

John

Back