What is Needed for Making a Gear?

wachuko

Professor of Pending Projects
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I spend many, many hours at work in front of the computer... reason for sometimes over researching stuff... But between calls and doing this and that at work, I get time to search on my hobbies.

I want to make gears... just practice at doing them. I do not have a specific gear that I need for a project. Just want to have the basic kit needed for it.

What is the first gear cutter that you would recommend that I get? I want to buy my first cutter... but not sure. I read that a slitting saw can be use, but I want to get one of those cutters that would cut a bevel gear... you know, fancy stuff.

I know, I know, I can hear you guys! - "Well, maybe, just maybe, read all those books first and you might have your answer" I know...

First thing, the basics, search here in the forum:

And base on those threads, I went ahead and ordered Ivan Law's book - Gears & Gear Cutting for Home Machinists... should be here tomorrow. Yes, I know Gears and Gear Cutting - Workshop Practice Series #17 is available for download, but I am a sucker for having the actual book in my hands... old school I guess...
Downloaded the Gear Cutting 101 by Jim Dubois

Will be watching this video, from @ThunderDog, next:

I know I need a dividing head. Will get one in a few months...

And as I read and research... found a set of cutting gears on eBay that might do the trick for getting started... But did not wanted to start with a module cutter...well, cuz I'm Murican! (yeah, I had watched the video by the time I finished making this post... :p )... Still searching for a complete set to get started...

Last edited:
You need a set of cutters for each gear pitch you want to cut, unless you want only a specific diameter of gear, then you can get by with one cutter.
And a dividing head of some kind.
-M
The simple answer is "MONEY!" lol

Last edited:
You don’t necessarily need a dividing head, an indexing head will work just as well with the understanding you’d be limited to the set divisions. Dividing head certainly gives more flexibility. I’ve made quite a few gears in the last couple years — including a full set of Delrin change gears for a second lathe — with just my indexing centres.

I think I’d be inclined to buy a set rather than just one cutter, but that’s just me. You can get an import set for not bad money these days and I’ve had good success with mine. But yes, if all you want to do is play, then one cutter will work and is capable of providing hours of simple entertainment…see link below…

You may be diving into gear cutting, but you probably need a dividing head to help you. :) I chose a module gear cutter set, because the machines I have weren't made in the USA. Yeah , ^^^ what he said! Also a gear arbor and a mandrel or two... Apparently the simple split mandrels slip, so you might want to look at the double tapered mandrels instead.

You may be diving into gear cutting, but you probably need a dividing head to help you. :) I chose a module gear cutter set, because the machines I have weren't made in the USA. Yeah , ^^^ what he said! Also a gear arbor and a mandrel or two... Apparently the simple split mandrels slip, so you might want to look at the double tapered mandrels instead.
Hahahahahaha fixed! Dividing, dividing... all my scuba gear is still dry... hahahahaha thank you for catching that!

Yes, I will also need a gear arbor (the ones with the key in the to avoid slipping, got it! ) Ohhh, a mandrel... I had to look that up... Okay, I need to research that some more... this is the tool that will hold the blank where I will be making the cuts...

This was a fun watch...

Well, yeah... and that only took 120 cuts + all the cleaning needed with the bullnose endmill! That was a LOT of work!! :D:D I am lazy! I want to learn the easiest way to make a gear, without actually buying it already made! hahaha

All joking aside, thank you for sharing that video! Looks like a great practicing exercise.

A rotary table set up vertically works too. The gears I needed a one inch hole in them so I made
a slightly tapered mandrel that reached one inch in about the middle of it. The gear blank
slldes down to a tight fit with a few hammer raps.

Back