What Is The Correct Name For This Tool?

wlwhittier

Registered
Registered
Hi...Noob here; first post.

I call this an adjustable die-plate. eBay search shows nothing remotely similar. This is beautifully made, and a pleasure to hold and fondle...I have another, smaller (European) version as well...but don't know what to call it so I can go scouting for more information on age, specific use, etc. P1140947.JPG
As shown it's 9-5/8" long, 1-1/2" wide; the dies are 1/4" thick; weight is ~11-1/2 ounces. when I got it there was an accumulation of dried lubricant, shop soil, very minor surface rust (mostly at the V-faces & between the die sections) as well as fine shavings in all the relief grooves and threads. All better now.

When was 1/4-24 a popular thread? I haven't determined what the other five dies will cut.

Thanks for looking! wlw

I'm not sure of it's name, but it is for repairing damaged threads. I don't know about 1/4 24, but I'm working on a project that uses 1/4 40 threads currently.

Thanks, Tom...1/4-40 sounds like optical, or other special.
This thing seems made to cut, rather than just repair...the dies are very hard, and several have chips adjacent the threads at the surface.
I'll post a pic of the other one soon. wlw

P1140951.JPG P1140952.JPG P1140953.JPG P1140950.JPG Here's the smaller one. It was severely damaged by rust at one time...Someone 'fixed that' with a wire brush before I got it.
Note the maker: Henry Boker, and his logo; all parts 'serial' numbered 14; each die 'dual-purposed'.
Without chip relief at all this one may very well be for repair, not cutting new.
7" x 1-1/4"; weight ~4 ounces. wlw

Last edited:
Hey wlw,

First, welcome aboard!

Second, great pictures, especially of the second one.

Sorry I cannot provide an answer for you, but I really appreciate you posting. I have never seen that tool before!

-brino

okay, I did a little searching and came up with a couple other Henry Boker tools:
http://collectiblehardware-tools.com/products/henry-boker

a couple similar threading dies:
http://collectiblehardware-tools.com/products/threading-die

and a boxed one on ebay from another manufacturer:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/221772128158?item=221772128158&lgeo=1&vectorid=229466&rmvSB=true
.....and that one shows a round die in the hole in the end, although it looks like that was just been stuck in the same box, and not actually used as a die holder.

-brino

Probably
Hi...Noob here; first post.

I call this an adjustable die-plate. eBay search shows nothing remotely similar. This is beautifully made, and a pleasure to hold and fondle...I have another, smaller (European) version as well...but don't know what to call it so I can go scouting for more information on age, specific use, etc. View attachment 105020
As shown it's 9-5/8" long, 1-1/2" wide; the dies are 1/4" thick; weight is ~11-1/2 ounces. when I got it there was an accumulation of dried lubricant, shop soil, very minor surface rust (mostly at the V-faces & between the die sections) as well as fine shavings in all the relief grooves and threads. All better now.

When was 1/4-24 a popular thread? I haven't determined what the other five dies will cut.

Thanks for looking! wlw
Note at the screw end - I think you can drop out the half - dies to get at "inside " of
of a damaged thread. Probably mostly used in a vise. Quarter--24 sounds useful,
but obsolete-- I like to use 12-24, but they are harder to get now.BLJHB.

I had a leather skive machine that had all 1/4-24 bolts. Did a bunch of searching and found Harley Davidson was the only company that still makes bolts that size and they were not cheap. Ended up just making custom ones on the lathe and made a tap to clean the threads out.

Back