What is the "correct" procedure for polishing in the lathe?

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
Placing your hands, strips of sandpaper, etc in close proximity to moving workpieces can have bad consequences if not done properly.

Accordingly, I want to know what is the CORRECT procedure for polishing a workpiece in the lathe.

Thanks,

Nelson

well take a long piece of paper hold lightly with left hand wrap from bottom around top hold over top, with right hand apply pressure move back and forth until desired effect is attained and remember if it grabs don't try to stop it just let go and let it wrap up turn machine off and unwind.
Simple just don't get wraped up in it.

Justin Bowerman
JB Enterprise
07 FFL in Cen Ca.

When I polish something, say a shaft after turning, I use a 1" or so wide strip of emery cloth with a drop or two of oil on it to prevent dust or filings from escaping.

I set my Enco lathe to something like 460 rpm (one of the eight speed choices) and run it in reverse. That way I'm working from the top and I can get a better grip on the cloth.

I make sure to stay away from the chuck, of course. I still have all of my original set of ten fingers and all knuckles are in place, covered with OEM skin. So far so good. :)

I sue small pieces of abrasive cloth or paper (paper mostly) and I back them up with a piece of leather; I always try to hold so that the paper and leather would be easy to pull out of my fingers to avoid being caught if something grabs. And, of course I try to stay far away from a chuck. Here I'm just breaking the edge a bit:

398.jpg

The best answer is, of course, to not use the lathe at all. A dedicated polisher is easy and cheap.

Mine is salvaged from my old furnace blower. A Harbor Freight arbor (less than 5 bucks) attaches to the shaft to allow buffing wheels (also HF) to be used and changed out quickly and easily. The motor is mounted to an old sewing machine cabinet (roadside pickup) such that the wheel extends out over the edge of the top to give me maximum clearance. A piece of old carpet taped to the wall catches most of the debris, and pads the surface for the inevitable flung parts.

This has several benefits. The first is, obviously, safety. No spinning chuck jaws to catch a knuckle. The second is to keep all the mess away from the lathe. The last is to have multiple wheels for each material, and each polishing compound. I write directly on the wheel what it is for (brass, steel or aluminum) and I have three grades of each one. Polishing compounds are stored in the cabinet drawers, as are the other wheels. Also in the drawer are an old file (for cleaning the wheels) and a wrench for changing them out.

This polishing stand also has the bench grinder mounted to the other side. This keeps all the grinding/polishing mess in one area, away from the lathe and mill.

Back