What is this compound part for?

Firstgear

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I took my compound apart since I had other issues I was dealing with. I found this inside the backside of the compound and I have no idea where it goes or even if it does go. It’s almost like a fat needle bearing.....anyone? I don’t see it on the exploded view in the manual....

That part and a spring that fits inside it go beneath part number five to act as a locating pen for your two poster

I think it's not shown as it was supposed to either be a press fit into the base of the compound or loctited. I think it's the pin that locates the compound to the cross slide which it's supposed to rotate on. I have a similar pin on my 9x20 which on it can fit in two different holes.

1. I no longer have the lantern but a QCTP that was installed by PM, so I dont know how it went together before.
2. That pin is only about 4-5mm in diameter and about 10mm or so long....nothing is going to rotate on it.
3. I thought it might have been something that was rubbed against or kept something in place......

The hole in 75 is way larger than the diameter of the pin....

It's an extra part that some smart a$$ thru in there to confuse the next guy to work on it . ;) I swear I've NEVER done that .:big grin:

I believe all 4 way tool posts have the pin mentioned. As said it's used for quick indexing. On my lathe the pin & spring goes in a hole that's on my coumpound slide towards the front instead of the t-nut like shown in the diagram.

I'm not sure if that's what your pin is though. The pin usually has a bevel on one end so you can turn the 4-way TP to index but it won't turn back the other direction. Your pin doesn't look to have a bevel on one end. At least that is how mine pin was as well as for my mini lathe.

What do you mean by inside the compound, like it was actually inside the compound slide or under the compound assy?

I believe all 4 way tool posts have the pin mentioned. As said it's used for quick indexing. On my lathe the pin & spring goes in a hole that's on my coumpound slide towards the front instead of the t-nut like shown in the diagram.

I'm not sure if that's what your pin is though. The pin usually has a bevel on one end so you can turn the 4-way TP to index but it won't turn back the other direction. Your pin doesn't look to have a bevel on one end. At least that is how mine pin was as well as for my mini lathe.

What do you mean by inside the compound, like it was actually inside the compound slide or under the compound assy?
That is where I found it...in by the 2 nuts.....inside

Back