What is this part of the spindle called?

Analias

Active User
Registered
What is the name of this part of the spindle?

spindle head.jpg

I'm trying to research the dimensions of this part so that I can create a new part like below. This is my first attempt at having a part 3D printed, and the original dimensions are for a G0704 spindle. I was hoping it was the same size as my Sieg X3. It's not, it barely fits over the head of the draw bar.

interrupter disc.jpg

If your curious, the part is an interrupter disk for a tach sensor. If anyone has a drawing or knows the dimensions for a Sieg X3 spindle please let me know. I'd be happy to share the CAD and STL files once I'm done.

Just be fair, I didn't print this part. I don't have a 3D printer. I did the design work, and sent the STL file to Hoss (of CNCZone, www.hossmachine.info, and www.g0704.com). He did a wonderful job and the cost was quite reasonable for a one-off prototype.

-Freeman

spindle head.jpg interrupter disc.jpg

The "Spline" or "Drive Spline". There's a name for that shape of spline but it escapes me at the moment.

Ray

The "Spline" or "Drive Spline". There's a name for that shape of spline but it escapes me at the moment.

Ray

Thank you, much appreciated.

Now I'll have to find the dimensions.

-Freeman

No sweat...

Say, that spline looks spiffy clean... I hope you know you should dribble a little way oil down each groove/slot once in a while. It drips down and keeps everything happy down there.

Ray

Thank you, much appreciated.

Now I'll have to find the dimensions.

-Freeman

I believe that is the quill. It's the part of the spindle that moves up and down.

"Billy G"

No sweat...

Say, that spline looks spiffy clean... I hope you know you should dribble a little way oil down each groove/slot once in a while. It drips down and keeps everything happy down there.

Ray

I do now. Thanks!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 running CyanogenMod 10.1

it's the upee downee thingee if you really want to get technical:shush::shush:

I believe that is the quill. It's the part of the spindle that moves up and down.

"Billy G"

The quill is the whole assembly. The housing spindle and bearings. That is the splined end of the of the spindle.

Crowned... Crowned spline. Only took me a day to think of it... -That the name of that style of spline. I had "castellated" in mind for some reason and couldn't get that out of my head all night long.

As for the name, who cares... I refer to it as "the thing that sprays oil on my glasses". My lathe chuck has the same name and mental connotaton.

Ray

A quill can move. A spindle only rotates,but does not move up,down,or sideways. A tailstock quill doesn't rotate. It just goes sideways. Of course,most quills rotate. Depends upon the application.

Back