"What Is This Thing?" Running Thread

Is it hardened steel? How sharp is the edge? Does it somehow fit into or functional at trough-funnel for oiling?

Daryl
MN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good questions. Honestly I haven't spent any more time with it than maybe 30 seconds looking at it, unscrewing it, and taking those pictures. I'll look closer next time I'm in the shop.

So I think that thing may be used for metal engraving. Not sure, but it looks a lot like a tool in an engraving video I came across on YouTube the other day. I had never seen that done before, so I had no idea what the tools looked like. Next time I come across that thing in the shop I'll see if it cuts the way I suspect it will.

Today I'm wondering about two other tools. Both I more or less "get", but would like to nail down more specifically if we can.

First up, this form tool came in a box of stuff with the mill.

20170307_213528.jpg

Three brazed carbide teeth ground to the same profile. Guide bearing makes me think it would be for a woodworking router, but the fact that it was with end mills and a t-nut hold down kit and a vertical mill makes me wonder. Obviously no one will mill metal handheld more than once (other than the occasional light duty aluminum and brass stuff with woodworking tools, as I've done). Is there a use for a guide bearing like that on a machining tool? Seems like a clumsy way of controlling depth of cut to me.

20170307_215841.jpg

The profile it cuts is probably fairly obvious, but I tried it on the end of a piece of 1" square stock CRS and it easily cut this nice v with relief. This is the full depth of cut that the guide bearing allows.

20170307_215522.jpg

Regardless of what it was originally for I will certainly use it for the Vs on the copper jaws of the kant twist clamps I'm going to finish making one of these days. Any idea what else it would be used for?

Finally I assume this is some sort of arbor. It was still in the original, sealed bag. I cleaned the oil off of it for this photo. It has a gorgeous crosshatch grind that my cell phone camera doesn't do justice.

20170307_213355.jpg

Obviously it's R8, with both ends threaded, but I'm not personally familiar with this configuration. 1" OD on the end. I'm sure it's quite obvious to those who have dealt with more tooling than I have, but I'm not sure how this style is used. I'm sure a link would suffice for explaining this one.

20170307_213415.jpg

Thanks!

Looks like a shell mill arbor. It allows you to bolt on a shell mill endmill (large endmill) or a shell face mill cutter.

Come to think of it, my PM45M came with one, sitting in a box somewhere.

Still wondering about that form tool, but today we have a new challenge: Name That Collet! This guy (Frederik Moberg on YouTube) has a really cool lathe that came with MASSIVE collets, but he doesn't know what kind they are in order to locate a few more. Please click through to view this on YouTube and tell him what he has if you recognize it. All anyone has identified so far is that they are in the category of segmented collets.

that's a really interesting collet system. Looks like they have a pretty large range compared to more standard fare. Mike

First up, this form tool came in a box of stuff with the mill.

upload_2017-3-21_13-2-4.png

Jon, when I first saw that one I thought it was a chamfering tool for use in a vertical mill, using the bearing to locate it in the hole.
Of course that doesn't explain why it's also sharpened on the other edge.....if you flip it over it would be running backwards!
Maybe could be used for "back chamfering" thru a hole if the bearing was on the other side......

-brino

I'll start. :)

This was in the box of change and reversing gears, tooling, and random workpieces and offcuts that came with my father's Logan 850 lathe. Any idea what I is? It appears to me to have been cut off of something else, as there is a rough end and no apparent mount point. Not sure if it's worth keeping.

View attachment 217828

View attachment 217829

View attachment 217830

View attachment 217831
I think it is a mill table bump stop that will flip
Out of the way . Then flip it back down to bump
Stop a part .
You have a post and the base missing
Just make you a post that will fit that hole and a base plate with a hole in it for the post . With a clap or set screw . You will need a hole through the plate to run you bolt into you T- nut in the table slot.
Make the plate out of a piece of 3/4 x 2" x 4"
There you have it

Back