What is your best looking/favorite tools?

Braeden P

Registered
Registered
Just say what yours is and add some pictures no pictures no proof;)

Mine is a lufkin No. 521 surface gauge one of the smallest ones they where made from 1930 tp the 1950s

Now let’s see yours.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 51
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 50
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 44
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 47
This square is my favorite tool: it was my Dad's and is the tool that I most closely associate with him and his shop.
It's not a Starrett, it's a Union tool, and an older one at that. As a bonus I also found the 18" blade for it on eBay a couple
of years ago, which is difficult since Union changed the blades slightly at some point.

IMG_1158.jpeg

Mine would be the Starrett C359. Got it at a closing auction at a machine shop in Laval Qc, summer of 2016. $75 +tax I got opening bid. Now its worth almost $1k CAD to replace. Spent perhaps too much on tooling during my apprentice years, bargain hunting and such.

Its an amazing tool, only I barley use it. For rough purposes, scribe lines and such, I used the protractor on a combination square. For finer work that had a discerning angle tolerance, I needed to use a sine bar or angle wedges on the granite plate. My current work as the Mitutoyo version. The "Vernier Bevel Protractor, 0-320°" is better I find for tool bit grinding, as the inner wedge is held to the tool against the light , also I don't mind getting grinding dust on it. So the starrett remains near mint.
20201219_112604.jpg

Kamakura rotary table. It's like the zenith of Japanese manufacturing philosophy. Just gorgeous to use:

IMG_20201121_163659.jpg

Doesn't show in the pic, but that's a hardened and ground table
:dollars:

I also own a Wohlhaupter UPA3 boring head, but can't find a pic!

Starrett 436 mic
d0ecd9acae970d1cc5cd6fab2581144b.jpg

Back