What kind of cooling for steppers do I need in an actively heated chamber?

Safety Crocs

Registered
Registered
Hey, So I'm looking at actively heating my 3d print chamber. I already have all of the electronics on the outside, so that's not an issue. I want to at least be able to heat it to 60c and if I can do that with just passive heat sinks on the steppers then I probably won't worry about water cooling. I just having a hard time finding any definitive information on what ambient temp steppers can run at. If anyone knows of any good videos on the subject please post them. While I have found some on youtube, they really haven't directly answered my concerns. Thanks!!!

You do not need cooling. Threre are many, many folks out there running Voron 2.4's, which are enclosed, while printing ABS and without stepper motor cooling of any sort. Up to 90C on the stepper motor will be ok, but cooler is always better.

I’m curious why you would actively heat inside the enclosure? What material requires this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I print abs in an enclosure. Ambient is usually 45-50C in the enclosure. No issues after 3 years of use.

Couldn't tell ya what another 20c would do to it though...

I’m curious why you would actively heat inside the enclosure? What material requires this?

ABS @vtcnc. ABS likes heat and no cooling to get a decent print.

Ok that makes sense. So best practice with ABS is to pump heat into the enclosure? I was thinking the radiant heat from the hot plate would keep things warm enough if it was retained by the enclosure. I didn’t know a secondary source was preferred.

Ok that makes sense. So best practice with ABS is to pump heat into the enclosure? I was thinking the radiant heat from the hot plate would keep things warm enough if it was retained by the enclosure. I didn’t know a secondary source was preferred.

Some use a secondary source, but I question its necessity. We use Ultimakers at work and they do not have heaters, with the heated bed providing enough ambient temp rise to be sufficient.
It seems that adding a heater is not the norm from what I can figure out. I do not plan on having one in my Voron.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Nylon, ASA, ABS. Also PP and PC but I think those need a hotter chamber tham

Nylon, ASA, ABS Also PP, and PC but I think those need a hotter chamber than I'm willing to mess with at the moment. Some of these can be done without a heated chamber but it's supposed to make larger prints a lot easier. My main interest right now is doing larger ASA prints.

Back