What kind of cooling for steppers do I need in an actively heated chamber?

Ok that makes sense. So best practice with ABS is to pump heat into the enclosure? I was thinking the radiant heat from the hot plate would keep things warm enough if it was retained by the enclosure. I didn’t know a secondary source was preferred.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not really. I print abs all the time (its my preferred filament) and all I use is an enclosure. The heat inside the enclosure comes from the heated print bed.

But I run my print bed at 100-110.

the big thing with abs is to have your print bed close to the material’s glass temperature to reduce shrinkage, which causes all kinds of problems.

You need an enclosure with abs to get reliable prints for the same reason you need a hot print bed: preventing rapid or uneven cooling. Drafts cause uneven cooling and shrinkage problems. Sometimes, even walking past a printer while printing abs is enough of a draft to cool a layer too much and cause internal stress/pulling.

You also need to keep your print fan “off” for the entire print with abs. Same issues: warpage, shrinkage, etc.

I also just use the bed heat for the enclosure on my big printer (15" cube class). My little guy had a light bulb on a mechanical thermostat.

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

Back