What Kind of Metal for My Project?

Michael303

Registered
Registered
I'm looking to get some feedback on what kind of steel I should choose for a couple of small mill projects I have chosen for an upcoming machine shop class. I was looking at 1018 steel and O1 tool steel but I'm open to suggestions. These are both gauges for measuring 1911 slides and frames. Please see the attached pics. Any feedback is appreciated.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-02-11 at 11.34.08 AM (1).png
    Screenshot 2021-02-11 at 11.34.08 AM (1).png
    935.9 KB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot 2021-02-11 at 11.31.06 AM (1).png
    Screenshot 2021-02-11 at 11.31.06 AM (1).png
    139.8 KB · Views: 25
  • Rail Micrometer Drawing.png
    Rail Micrometer Drawing.png
    106.4 KB · Views: 24
  • Slide Width Gauge Drawing.png
    Slide Width Gauge Drawing.png
    128.3 KB · Views: 25
41 series, oil-hard, or water-hard all good choices. If you have a chunk of A, that's good too. My first choice is nearly always going to be oil or water, they both have terrific qualities start to finish, especially if you intend surface grinding.
[edit in] Without knowing your setup, there is one avenue not mentioned, better mild [still low carbon] steels and casehardening. They'd be plenty satisfactory for your gauges.

Last edited:
The state many grades of tool steel are found have to be advertised and read correctly. Just as shown above, in quantity, they can be supplied according to order. It all depends on what processing is to follow. For example, grinding is better when done at higher Rockwell. All kinds of gauges, tooling and products never see a cutter.
Final hardening applies to intended use and life cycle, the separation of something like 'not required' 'recommended' and 'critical'.

Last edited:
Rc 28-32 is the hardness for 4140QT (pre-hardened). Annealed is softer, down around Rc 20.
Mr. Whoopee is right in my opinion. It's basically chrome moly.
Benmychree suggested I use this stuff. It machines nice and you don't have to harden it when you are done.
This is the stuff. The pre hardened ground stock is beautiful. Pricey though

Mr. Whoopee is right in my opinion. It's basically chrome moly.
Benmychree suggested I use this stuff. It machines nice and you don't have to harden it when you are done.
This is the stuff. The pre hardened ground stock is beautiful. Pricey though
Thanks for the link. That's actually a little cheaper than some of the stuff I was looking at.

I noticed McMaster has it available in annealed and hardened. Just to confirm, which would be preferable?

Back