What kind of shanks are these?

11andrew11

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I purchased these two facing and boring heads at auction the other day. I don't recognize the arbor/shank. They came from a machine shop that seemed to do things in XL sizes. For example, they were auctioning off an Aloris DA QCTP and tool holders. Anyway, the shank has an OD of 1.5".

Thank you.

PXL_20220607_023408086.jpg

Looks like they may have been used in an endmill holder.

Wow, flat for set screw, keyway, and slot for driving lug! Belt, suspenders, and superglue!

Those are big, and probably used in a production environment. It may be that the holders were modified to fit several machines.

The one on the right is for a damaged spindle.. :grin: You wouldn't want to stick a pristine shank in a pristine spindle would ya :grin:,

No idea, they look like they belong in a shell mill holder because of the 180 degree offset semi circles.

They are both boring and facing heads. The one on the left is a Duplex Chandler 2-1/2 and the one on the right is a Wohlhaupter UPA4. They came out of an aerospace machine shop in SoCal that closed down.

I'm used to seeing tapered arbors for these things like BT40 an BT50, but haven't seen this type.

Omni mills were big for straight shank tooling....
It didn't hold the tools as tightly as a taper and even sucked end mills out of the spindle with the tool holder still attached.
The holders are scrap but the boring head and face mill should be removable.

Thanks for your thoughts. I just went back and reviewed some of the machines that were for sale at the auction to see if I could figure something out. I found a few possibilities;
  • Charles Berthiez Type BM225 Single Column 88” Vertical Boring Mill
  • Bullard 54” Vertical Turret Lathe
There was also a Betts Bridgeford 80” x 300” Lathe. Can you imagine? I had to share an image of that beast:

e1e70e8d-def3-4d8b-9074-ae93015df682.jpg

Here's the Berthiez. The round table against the back wall has a 168" diameter, for reference.
Berthiz.jpg

And the Bullard
Bullard.jpg

I've never taken apart a Chandler, but I've had UPA3s through UPA6s apart.

Some of the UPAs have removable shanks, some have integral shanks. Because of the goofy shank you're dealing with, I suspect that it's either a shop-modified big MT (5 or 6 perhaps?), or a removable that they made custom for their setup. I doubt that's something Wohlhaupter would have supplied unless it was a special order.

Either way, don't be afraid to take a peek under'er skirt. They're fun to take apart, just don't lose any of the springs in the process.

Thanks for the encouragement. I do plan to take them both apart to see how they tick. I actually have taken apart a Chandler-Duplex 1-1/2 and I suspect the 2-1/2 is much the same. I've watched a video on youtube and also found a narrative on rebuilding the UPA 4, so I won't be going in cold. These things are amazing for sure.

Back