What kind of steel is this? (lathe tool)

Twist drills are hard only on the working end, because the material on the chucked end is a welded on piece of lower grade steel. this saves tool steel, and if the tool were all hard, it would be difficult to hold in the chuck without slipping under torque.

Huh???

It is difficult for a drill chuck to get a good grip on hard steel; the softer shanks on most HSS drills give the chuck a better "bite" on the shank.
Think of it this way, bite down on a piece of drill rod and try to twist it; it is easy to do, then try it with a wooden dowel; big difference ---

Last edited:
Huh??? I'm not from Missouri but you're going to have to show me that one... the two piece drill you're talking about.

You cannot s
Huh??? I'm not from Missouri but you're going to have to show me that one... the two piece drill you're talking about
You cannot see the weld joint, it is done before the blanks are finished; take a drill and grind on each end, note the difference in sparks; this is especially true with taper shank drills, the flutes are hard, the taper shank not nearly so hard, and of a different steel alloy; this is one reason it is easily possible to twist the tang off one of them, it twists off, it does not shatter as it would if it was as hard as the cutting portion of the drill. also note how the tang gets beat up by the drill drift used to remove it from the spindle and/or the taper sleeves.

So you can't show me... this is gibberish, nothing but California frontier gibberish... welded drills, yikes...

Here's a somewhat dated video showing the manufacture of taper shank drills where they weld carbon steel shanks to HSS bits.

We had a 39 spindle drill at a place I used to work that would crash on occasion. At times, the HSS section would actually separate from the carbon steel morse taper.

Edit: Sorry, forgot the link:

Ted

Last edited:
Check out the above post on welded drills, you Philistine Noo Yawk trash talker!

ha ha ha... thank you, that is all I asked for and YOU couldn't do it. Another NY'er had to do it...

Back