What metals are safe to eat.

Yes Galvanized metal is nasty stuff when you start heating it. The volumes of smoke and little blue green flames it produces when welding it is a good warning.

Yup, and breathing it makes everything taste sweet.

If you ever find yourself exposed to zinc fumes, go drink some milk. The calcium will lessen the absorbtion of zinc. Not an old wives tale - in this province a supply of milk is required by law when zinc is being melted and poured. Always a bonus back in my days at the mine when they were doing a liner job on the primary crusher. Chocolate milk works too. :)

Hawkeye link=topic=3005.msg21596#msg21596 date=1312941076 said:
If you ever find yourself exposed to zinc fumes, go drink some milk. The calcium will lessen the absorbtion of zinc. Not an old wives tale - in this province a supply of milk is required by law when zinc is being melted and poured. Always a bonus back in my days at the mine when they were doing a liner job on the primary crusher. Chocolate milk works too. :)

;) ;) Some safety precautions can be satisfyingly delicious ++++++ ++++++

~Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Dad always told us to drink butter milk! yuck!!! :p before doing any welding on galvanise metal.

Hawkeye,
Now you tell me. I did some consulting work at a zinc plant and did work in the plant while they were pouring melted zinc into pots to test and treat. The zinc powder was worst, mask and suit required there. I also welded galvanized sheet which was real bad for fumes.
Paul

Back