What Oil For My Zubal Lathe? Headstock, Feed Box And Gear Box.

kyleaudio

Registered
Registered
Hi Guys,

I want to change the oil in my Zubal C-2 lathe headstock, feed box and gear box, but I'm having a hard time figuring out what the correct oil is. I have a copy of the manual and it does list a few different oils for the speed box, but I can't find much info on the oils listed and I can't find the oil for the headstock and feed box listed anywhere...

This manual covers 3 different models and the image on the left is the C-1 model lathe, the C-2 has a different feed box that is completely closed.

RzyCfPw.jpg

Thanks,
Kyle

RzyCfPw.jpg

RzyCfPw.jpg

RzyCfPw.jpg

Hi Kyle,
seems like Telex oil is fork oil for bicycle forks. Seems like an odd oil for a lathe. I don't know anything about your lathe, but I would think a good hydraulic oil that is able to be used in a gear transmission would work. maybe 30 weight? I use IH hy tran in my old lathe. It has good moisture resistance because my shop isn't heated constantly. I would wait for more answers from some of the more expert people on here.
good luck
Martin

Usually an ISO 68 hydraulic/gear oil (SAE 20 or 80W gear oil) is standard for the head stock, many lathes use the same ISO 68 oil for the carriage and bearing lubrication. Open gearboxes, can use this or way oil which is a bit stickier. Not going to get into the detergent issue/motor oil use, other than it is not recommended in this application and standard gear/hydraulic oil is cheaper in quantity. You want something with anti-wear, anti-foam and rust inhibitors; which is just about any industrial type hydraulic/gear oil.

Thanks guys! It's actually a closed gearbox for the feeds, so I assume the same as the headstock?

In this lathe, the headstock only has a direct drive gear and the back gear. It has a 4 speed transmission down with the motor that needs oil too.

Back