What Should I Do with All These Wooden Drawers?

I think that’s what I will do.

The price of steel right now is a total disaster but I’m just not set up to work with wood at all.
you'll need some kind of frame for these boxes to slide in/out of, the wooden boxes don't seem to weigh much , you could use galvanized sheets from HD although my first choice for this type of project is copper. if you can get copper at a reasonable price, it'll be easier to work with than mild steel, you can bend/shape/cut all the parts out of copper (i.e. brackets )easily with a homemade bender, and then they can be soldered or silver brazed to a copper frame.

Forget the cabinet shop idea. I am remodeling the small 7' x 5' kitchen in my new to me house. Almost $10K for the cabinets from one of the lower priced cabinet shops in my area. I went with cabinets from Lowes. Still cost 4K.

If you can work with metal you can work with wood. Lowes or Home Depot will cut the plywood to the sizes you need. No extra charge. Buy a doweling jig and a Kregs pocket screw jig. Use cheap 1x2 and 1x3 white pine for stretchers and drawer supports.

Send me or post the sizes of the drawers and I will do a scale drawing with dimensions in Sketchup for you. If you were closer I would even help you make it. It will only take an afternoon to make.

Firepit ! :devil:
If I didn't have so much crap already from trying to save stuff from the scrap yard , they could be worth trying to use . One thing is the wood will soak in water out of the air . For this reason , I'm out ! ( stolen from Shark Tank )
:devil:

I made a workbench/toolbox with wooden drawers. It’s made from 3/4 square tubing welded together. It’s 6’ long by 2’ deep and has 52 drawers I made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The bottoms are just held on with glue or nails? It won't work if you fill these with steel hardwares, the
bottoms will fall off. Best might be to give 'em a bit of finish (shellac or prime-and-paint) and use 'em loose on
shelves, for things that'd roll off otherwise; one for epoxies, one for wood glues, one for light oil, one for greases,,,
They were made to hold collections of items used by the artisan, so as to organize his work (first step, use tools
and supplies in box 1; second step, put box 1 away and work from box 2...). For that, they're ideal, like cigar boxes.

Also ideal for pencils, markers, calipers, notepads... lightweight items that just clutter the workspace otherwise...

I'd consider a wirework shelving to place all these... you can look through the shelves to see what's in the boxes.

It looks like the bottoms are just nailed or screwed onto the bottom of the sides. If they are just nailed, I would probably just toss them or put them on Craigslist so someone else can use them. I have been much more of a woodworker over the years, so these drawers are just "meh". Not sure how they came into your possession, but considering how much money you blow on non-sensical stuff, I would just give them away.

Thanks for all of the helpful responses!

My Dad *loves* working with wood. I told him about this today, and he is very excited about making a chest of drawers on wheels. This will be a father/son team effort.

I have a 20” X 20” X 20” box (first photo) that I put my oversize tools in. I have always lamented the fact that it is not on wheels.

My Dad and I are going to make a box to put under this 20” square box. The 20” square box (first photo) will sit on top of the chest of drawers that we are making.

The second photo shows all of these wooden drawers stacked up in a 21” X 21” X 21” square tower. The chest of drawers on wheels that we will make will have 5 shelves on it.

I will have to sand the front of these boxes & put on knobs. I think that there are about 60 drawers. I hope the knobs & casters don’t cost much.

My Dad and I are going to use 9/16” or 5/8”plywood.

F2F2FC1D-2578-439D-9FEC-0ACABAB2B4C1.jpeg

56CDDDED-0958-42FB-AB02-25B7ACFC50F9.jpeg
02803DE9-BED7-4CC4-8F88-57E42BA81B28.jpeg

It looks like the bottoms are just nailed or screwed onto the bottom of the sides…Not sure how they came into your possession, but considering how much money you blow on non-sensical stuff, I would just give them away.

I do spend a *lot* of money on tools & equipment. I am VERY cheap on my “non-tool” spending—VERY cheap!

I assert that tools are a darned good use of money, & in no way nonsensical.

I have definitely had a lot of cruddy tool purchases (Shars digital electronic micrometers come to mind), but I usually buy high quality tools. I have found these to be a solid investment.

There are over 200 people at my work. I see what a lot of people are spending their money on. I’m sure that they are happy, but that would not fulfill me at all.

If I spend money, I want to have that item for the rest of my life *and* have a constructive use for it.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with wood cabinets, just be careful about moisture.
Add 3/4 x 1/8 hardwood strips to the bottoms of the drawers for slides and cut hand pulls in the front and back. If you don't cut them in the back the suction makes it hard to pull the drawer out.

Screen Shot 2022-02-21 at 8.35.40 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-02-21 at 8.36.23 AM.png

Build a box with a center divider out of 1/2" or 3/4" ply. Use 3/16" Lauan ply as spacers to support 1/2" ply shelves for the drawers to slide on. No fancy joinery needed, just square parts. Allow 1/8" clearance in height and 3/16"-1/4" in width for the drawers. Wax the hardwood slides, fill it to the max and enjoy! I can't tell you how many of these I've built 4'x4'x2' mounted on casters. This is a standard design in the film industry and my gang box has traveled the country for the last 20 years. If you want casters, double up the bottom. Use glue!!!

Screen Shot 2022-02-21 at 8.07.13 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-02-21 at 8.50.29 AM.png

Back