[4]

what should I pay for this Enco lathe?

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

MAKEITOUTOFWOOD

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
I wouldn't pay more then $500.00.

Even at that I would have a hard time handing over the cash.

ARC-170

Registered
I offered $100 for the heck of it. Hope that doesn't insult them, but it IS Ebay, so...

I think it's funny that they didn't take decent pictures or clean up the machine.

Bob Korves

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
I would not buy it at all on eBay. First, contact the seller, who is local to you, and make an appointment to see it in person. Then vet it, make sure everything is there and works properly, and then talk pricing, without eBay getting their cut. He can cancel the ad. It does not come with much tooling, and I cannot see if all the change gears are present.

ARC-170

Registered
I would not buy it at all on eBay. First, contact the seller, who is local to you, and make an appointment to see it in person. Then vet it, make sure everything is there and works properly, and then talk pricing, without eBay getting their cut. He can cancel the ad. It does not come with much tooling, and I cannot see if all the change gears are present.
I sent them a message. Irvine is a bit of a drive, but doable. I'd rather talk on the phone, get more pictures and see what else it comes with.

Bob Korves

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
I sent them a message. Irvine is a bit of a drive, but doable. I'd rather talk on the phone, get more pictures and see what else it comes with.
That is also a more honest way of doing business. However, I did not develop eBay's business model, they did. If there are ways to use their system to my advantage, I will take advantage of them. A goodly amount of money gets siphoned off between buyer and seller on eBay, and only eBay gains from that. YMMV.

Radials

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
That thing looks like a project. I too purchased an Enco 9x20 lathe except from a local seller and I have been rebuilding it. As mentioned if the change gears are missing you're looking at around $125 just for those (I learned that lesson). How about the other accessories that should come with the lathe? 4 jaw, faceplate, steady rest, follow rest, dead center, live center... You're looking at a lot more money to piece all these components together. I would also just anticipate that there could be some other items needing to be replaced (i.e. half nuts).

Someone has also been turning wood with that lathe and everything on it looks pretty chewy so I would plan on thoroughly having to clean it. This lathe has been on ebay for a long time at this price. Frequently while searching for the missing pieces for my lathe this one would show in the search results on ebay. This lathe is solidly worth no more than $150 given its condition and no mention of additional accessories imho. My advice would be to avoid it and go after a more complete better cared for machine.

Last edited:

ARC-170

Registered
My $100 offer got rejected. I sent a message. Not sure how to get around the filters that search for contact info. Ebay wants their cut!

MAKEITOUTOFWOOD

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I would buy it for $300. Go get it. It wont last long.

ARC-170

Registered
How hard and expensive is it to convert/replace the motor? The ad mentions 250 volts. That seems weird. I can ask if it means 220, but is 250 a thing?

ericc

Active User
That craigslist lathe looks great for the price, and it comes with some tooling. It will be heavy. It is a FAR better deal than the one at the top of this thread.

Radials

That's exactly what I'm looking for. At that price it won't be around for long.

pontiac428

You're okay with a 5.5x14-inch lathe? Because that 14x36 business is metric. You could keep that Enco in a cigar box when you're not using it. It has some nice features, though.

ARC-170

Registered
You're okay with a 5.5x14-inch lathe? Because that 14x36 business is metric. You could keep that Enco in a cigar box when you're not using it. It has some nice features, though.
Ya know, I thought it looked small for 14" swing! Seller is non-responsive. How can you tell it's metric? And since when does anyone give the specs that way? I thought they were always given in inches.

C-Bag

Ned Ludd's bro
This is pretty garbled. I think it's actually 12x?21?. If you try and look up that model in Enco it doesn't come up. And most Enco stuff can be wired 110 or 220 if it single phase which most Enco lathes that size I've seen are. $300 would be a great deal, much better than the first one as it doesn't look like it was used for wood like the first one. I don't know how many times I've seen a great deal on CL with no response. Good luck.

Radials

I don't understand... it says on the gear box " threads per inch" and there's a spray bottle sitting right next to the machine for size reference. I do believe though it's actually a 12x36.

Edit: judging by the carriage size it might be a 12x24

T Bredehoft

Active User
The craigs list lathe has a clutch, a feed screw, a lead screw and quick change gear box. Jump on it.

[6]
[5] [7]