What Size Cylindrical Square To Buy?

housedad

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I purchased a 24" X 36" surface table last December along with a 12" dual beam height gage and a surface gage. Now that I have been learning to measure and layout, I am finding that it would be real nice to have a cylinder square as a reference. Making my own is out of the question. Buying used is something I would rather stay away from. I've been bit too many times.

I was looking at the Shars units. They have a 3" x 6" unit at 15 lbs, and a 4" X 12" at 44lbs

I am in a conundrum as to which to buy. I wonder that one will be too small, or the other will be too big. I guess it is the weight of the larger one that gets me. Many of the parts I will be doing layout on will be withing the 12" envelope. It is mostly auto parts and gun parts and receivers, so the reference will not just be used for checking squares and angle plates.

What size do you think would be a good fit?

Get the 3 x 6 unit. That will always be useful. Only buy the bigger (and more expensive) unit if you absolutely need it.

If you can't decide, buy both! Seriously, buy tools to suit the work you do and plan to do.

Or.....
An much more affordable cylinder square might be found at your local auto / truck recycling yard.
Look for a large diesel engine piston and wrist pins.
Unless the engine is trashed you might find that the tolerances are well within the needs of a hobbyist like me.
Possibly not adequate, and certainly not certified for a tight tolerance work.

Daryl
MN

What do you need one for? I know this might sound strange to some people but in 35 years I never used one or saw one used in a real shop. I picked one up a few years ago at a sale and it's sat under the plate untouched ever since.

I've got a small magnetic one (maybe 4inches tall) which has been helpful on assessing square on knee movement relative to spindle or column.
For me it is more of a rebuilding tool.
A taller one would be handy!

Daryl
MN

I have used the little magnetic ones for perp verification, with the mag base being larger than the stem it's really what it is intended for. I've just never found a need for the big one.

Thanks for the help, everyone. I ordered the 3" X 6" unit.
I guess I have to hide it now. My wife saw a picture of it and said it will be perfect for rolling out puff pastry.
Sheesh. Is that a hint she wants me to get her a real nice set of pastry rollers or what?

Hmmm ... There do appear to be some small holes in the ends. Maybe threaded, maybe not. But even if not, it shouldn't be too difficult to re-drill & tap, then make a couple of rolling pin like handles with threaded ends. Could be a great project for your ball turner ;~)

Back