What size vise

Abody711

Registered
Registered
Picking up my pm-30mv mill Monday. The mill has a 8x33 table. Being new to milling, I do not know what size vise would work best. Any guidance would be appreciated.

The size of the vice is dictated by two factors:
1. What is the Vertical Spindle to Table Clearance. (how much room is free to have a bit or a tool between the spindle and the vice, your vertical workspace).
and
2. How long of a vice can you put on the table without it sticking out the back side (and interfering with Y travel towards the Column, AND without it sticking out too far forward and interfere with the Wheel that adjusts your Y position.

You are in luck, Precision Matthews usually lists optional Vices (which they believe may fit for you on that model of Mill).
On the PM-30mv, they show four and five inch vices, to include with the swivel base... so those sizes are probably a safe choice.

The length of the table is important (33 inches in your case), but how far it can travel is also important to determine how long of a cut you can do (23 inches in your case). The length of the X axis travel is normally not a decision factor in a vice.

My Tormach 770 has an 8 x 30 table and I use a 4" vise. A 5" vise would have been too big. But it really depends on your T slot configuration. The 770 has 3 slots and the vise overhangs the back of the table by about an inch if I use the center slot. If I use the first or third slots, it would seriously compromise my useful y axis travel. My fixed jaw is about 2-1/4" in back of the mounting tabs. The y axis travel extends about 1-1/2" beyond that to the back and 5-3/4" to the front of the fixed jaw.

A 5" vise would be too big IMO. The back of the vise would overhang the table to the extent that it would interfere with the column.

With four slots on my RF30 clone, I could probably use a 5" vise in the second slot. For either, a 6" vise would be too large.

It would help to know the location of the slots on your table and to compare with the dimensions of a prospective vise. In particular, the distance from the mounting tab to the back of the vise and the distance from the mounting tab to the fixed jaw.

Worth a thousand words....
The Mill pictured is a PM-728-VT, which is (dimensionally) just slightly smaller than yours.
The Vice is a Five inch model with the swivel base installed. The swivel base adds about one inch of height.

First picture is with the vice mounted on the center channel. Vice has one inch of overhang off the back side of the table.
Second picture is the vice mounted on the channel nearest the operator. Lots of space between the back of the vice and the back of the table.
Third picture is the vice mounted diagonally between the first and second channel. The back of vice is flush with the back of the table.
Fourth picture shows about 10 inches of clearance between the bottom of the spindle and the top of the vice which has a rotating base as well.

I will be adding a DRO to this mill. The X-Scale will be on the back side of the Table. This means I will likely be losing 3/4 inch of rearward Y-travel to the sensor. I may give up an additional 1/4 inch of Y-travel and mount the vice on the center T-Slot. This will act to protect the sensor will be protected from being crushed or bumped out of alignment if I move the Y-Axis too far to the rearward limit. (Always think of ALL your objectives when you are determining the "penalty" of adding an item, and it's placement).

1 center T-Slot with one inch overhang towards column.jpg2 front T-Slot large clearance back of table.jpg3 angled center AND front T-Slots Flush with back of Table.jpg4 ten inches of clearance from Spindle to top of Vice..jpg

There are space penalties associated with a larger vice, but....
With a lighter Mill (370 pounds stripped), adding a heavier vice (around 50 pounds), enhances stability of the workpiece, and can reduce any issues with chatter. Besides the weight of the vice, the table weight will be increased via an optional electric X-Feed as well. Mass can be your dearest friend with some cuts.

If you have a rear coolant channel that hangs out, consider sawing it off and plugging the channel ends with epoxy. A huge improvement on my 4" Vice's fit on my Rockwell!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Guess I will wait till I setup my machine to determine the best size. I bought the model with dro so that question will already be answered.

Anyone know the specs on Dayton 4cpe9. Can not find details online. Wonder about clamping base and rear overhang on base.

With an 8" table, I would go with a 4" vise. As mentioned, interference with Y-travel is the key concern. Overhang in front is another one. My RF-31 has an 8x28 table and the 4" is a perfect fit.

Back