What size vise

+1 on a 4" vise on that mill. Larger and it can impact Y-axis travel, hang over the Y-crank. Wider almost always equals taller also and Z-axis height is not to be given up lightly.

Last edited:
I use a 4" Kurt D-40 on a PM -30MV. I am keeping my eyes open for a 5" vise. but it will only be an add on when the 4" jaws don't open enough. The D-40 pretty much takes up the entire table and Y movement.

I have an 8×30 table on my G0730.
I have a 4" vise on a 10" rotary table.
If anything the proper sized vise would be 5" for the G0730 scale machine.

mine is a similar mill to yours in size.
I went with the 4 inch as everything else looked like overkill and I took off the rotary part of the vice as I didn't need it straight away.

Totally agree...Get a 4” vise. I was clueless when I first got into this hobby and being the tool junkie I am.... I first bought a 5” vise for my RF-45. Because bigger is better...right. (Wrong! )
After using the 5” for a few months... I ordered a Shars basic 4” and it’s just the right size in my opinion.
On a side note... after using the Shars vise for about a year I just felt it had too much flex.
Then...I Bought a used Kurt 4” from EBay and the difference in rigidity is quite noticeable. I now using the Kurt on my Millrite and it’s just the right size in my opinion. I wish I would have just listened to the many experienced machinist who recommended Kurt from the get go. The difference is like night and day. Upon further investigations.... check the total weight of any copies to the angle lock types of vises. Kurt is usually heavier. And FWIW... Ridgidity matters with mill vises.

Purchase a 4in Chinese vise with swivel base. There is no alignment mark to match up with the degrees you want. How do you determine where the alignment goes?

Purchase a 4in Chinese vise with swivel base. There is no alignment mark to match up with the degrees you want. How do you determine where the alignment goes?

You place the vise and swivel table on your milling table,
You then use dial indicator to tram the vise square,
You then look at the index mark on the swivel table and make a mark to calibrate rotation angle.
.....the mark should NOT be permanent since every time you put the vise on the table it may be a bit off in tram.
.....adjust the mark every time you tram the vise.

In practice, though, the swivel part is used so infrequently, I quit using mine and just put the vise on a real rotary table.
Also note: when dialing in 45º, 30º, and 60º, use precision triangles and tram on the triangle face for higher precision.

Well she is in place. Need to clear out around her. Bought a new Chineses 4in vise and a used phase ii 6in rotary table. If you trams the vise’s inside face or the rear jaw. The set a mark to location of zero degrees. Why would the procedure not be reputable to line up the mark with zero?

Attachments

• A6ABE671-A9AD-46F4-BA09-0C08C393739C.jpeg
    A6ABE671-A9AD-46F4-BA09-0C08C393739C.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 32
Back