What sort of brake do I have here?

RandyWilson

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Five years ago when I was cleaning up the late father in law's shop, I unearthed this big lump of cast iron that was attached to a makeshift cart made from lawn mower parts. It was an impressive cart, even had a tiller and steerable axle. The iron looked like it might be a metal brake. It was also buried in ... stuff. And was half wedged under the 1928 Model AA frame and the '23 Graham Bros firetruck. As a path was cleared, the cart with contents got rolled up under the shelving next to the Onan generator (mounted on another home-brew cart) for future inspection. Then health and other things conspired for four plus years.

I dug it out this past week, cleared it off, and hoisted it up onto the shelf. It is indeed a metal brake. But it's not the finger brakes I remember from high school shop. A far bit of duck-duck-go-fu led me to a single picture in a pamphlet that is an exact match. Exact. A Niagara Univerisal Folder/Brake #80. This is the only reference I can find. Anywhere!

Screenshot_20211225_160356.png

Does anyone have any idea what I have, what it was used for? And possibly what I could use it for beyond a basic brake?

Looks like what we would have called a “bar fold” more than a brake. Generally stouter and better suited for bending up things like brackets, straps, etc. There was one in my buddy’s silversmith shop (fondly known as “Barfy”) although not specifically a Niagara. Heavy little critters.

-frank

Last edited:
It appears to have a slip roll attachment underneath the brake, being that the illustration says capacity 18 gage, it is not likely to be used for bending brackets or straps; it is just a regular brake and roll.

Thanks guys.

The bar underneath isn't a roller. It's the interconnection for the clamping blade. The upper blade does not move on a pivot. It slides up and down in ways.

The bits I've found so far imply this is meant for a production shop. You fit stops and gauges for the job, use (pr make) whatever shape blade you need, and then run repetitive production day after day.

In case you haven't already checked there: the Vintage Machinery site has a listing for Niagara Machine & Tools Works
The 1956 publication named Niagara Machine & Tool Works Bulletin No. 74C Folders and Brakes has a description of a machine like yours on pages 6-7.

Yep, that's my go-to site for this sort of thing. I didn't look at 74C at first because, based on the solid castings and square headed bolts, I had convinced myself it was really old and was only looking at pre-war publications. At that point I had no info, not even a manufaturer. The pic I posted is from the 1931 publication #74. It is a match for mine, where the pic in 74C is slightly different. The info in 74C is what I paraphrased in the followup post.

Back