What steel might this be?

JRT

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I found this in the desert and since I have a lathe at home I figured I could probably use it as material for some little projects. I assume it's cast iron but truthfully have no idea. Anyone have an idea? It's about 18" long and maybe 3/4" to 1" thick. Thanks! -John IMG-9376.jpg

Tie rod end. Likely drop forged to make the ball socket probably while hot. Then the ball was dropped in and cold swagged. Threads were probably rolled in.

You could do a spark test to see if there is much carbon in it but it probably won't be much.
It might turn just fine, or it might be crap. Chop off a piece and give it a test with both HSS and carbide cutters. If nothing else it might be a good practice piece for that project that needs more expensive quality steel.

I always collect this kind of stuff just to play with. I have a big display rack made completely out of round bar a little under 1/2" diameter. Spent a lot of time cutting it up and storing in inside. Then found out it is complete garbage steel. Won't turn decent and probably isn't even good enough to make rebar out of. Such is life...

Reactions: JRT
Well, I'm glad I hadn't made any plans for it yet then, lol. I was planning on cutting a piece off, chucking it up and seeing what happens. I'll report back here soon then in case anyone is bored. -John

I'll be curious to see what you learn about it.

I have a piece of oil well sucker rod. Doesn't seem to be much carbon in it, but it sure turns nice on the lathe.
Considering it's purpose it must have pretty good tensile strength, but I was unable to find out much about it. The piece I have doesn't have any of the identification marks that might help.

As a hobbyist scrounging is more the order of the day than buying what I really need. There just isn't anyone left to pass the costs on.

I would say the buck stops here, but looking at the number of bucks laying around, they must be going somewhere else!

I'll be curious to see what you learn about it.

I have a piece of oil well sucker rod. Doesn't seem to be much carbon in it, but it sure turns nice on the lathe.
Considering it's purpose it must have pretty good tensile strength, but I was unable to find out much about it. The piece I have doesn't have any of the identification marks that might help.

As a hobbyist scrounging is more the order of the day than buying what I really need. There just isn't anyone left to pass the costs on.

I would say the buck stops here, but looking at the number of bucks laying around, they must be going somewhere else!
This might help. https://www.slb.com/-/media/files/al/product-sheet/sucker-rods-couplings-ps.ashx

View attachment 457126
This is how it bends when you T bone a Jack Daniels truck. Quite malleable.
Yup, a tie rod isn't suspension, it is steering. And ouch! You're supposed to hijack a Jack Daniels truck, not T bone it. ;)
Coil and leaf springs as well as torsion bars are suspension and are usually pretty close to 5100 spring steel. If they are in good shape can be made into knives and such but going used is always risking internal damage due to metal fatigue. I have no idea how this kind of thing would turn or mill. Probably only with carbide designed specifically for it.

I have some equalizer hitch spring bars that are destined for the forge on the "some day" list. They look new so should be OK, but I expect them to be "hard under the hammer".

So many things to do, so few days. Doesn't look like I will ever be bored in retirement!

I have made welding projects out of these drag links/tie rods before. Seemed a little brittle to weld, but did fine, were not critical welds or parts.

Drill sucker rod is used a lot for gates/corral fences and I guess must weld pretty good.

Back