What the heck?

Dumb newbie question here. Why does it matter if the backing plate is larger or smaller than the chuck?

David Put some mold release wax on the head and body of the screws and liberally fill the oversize hole with JB weld so that it is oozing out. Remove the screws before the JB weld fully cures. After full cure put the screws back in and smooth everything so there are no sharp edges. You are done and move on to another project.

Not worth the effort to get in a pissing match with Shars. More important things to do in life.

Just my two centovos

I understand (and agree). The set you ordered specifies that it includes a 202-6579 chuck. The dimension table, in the 202-6579 info, specifies the chuck is 6.299" OD. What is the measured OD of the chuck you received?
I just mic'ed the chuck, came out at 6.311" So pretty much on spec as far as I can tell.
So that means the backing plate was bigger than 6.3" when it arrived.
Stymied I am.

Dumb newbie question here. Why does it matter if the backing plate is larger or smaller than the chuck?

David Put some mold release wax on the head and body of the screws and liberally fill the oversize hole with JB weld so that it is oozing out. Remove the screws before the JB weld fully cures. After full cure put the screws back in and smooth everything so there are no sharp edges. You are done and move on to another project.

Not worth the effort to get in a pissing match with Shars. More important things to do in life.

Just my two centovos
I totally hear what you're saying. I don't plan to get all in a fuss about it with them but they should know that their ad copy is crap :)

With the amount and number of pages they have to put together I can see how it's easy to get items crossed up.
Add to that mis-labeled items from the supplier or something getting mixed up in the warehouse.
If you were up to it I would call them again ask for 2nd tier and just casually mention that some 'learned' members up on the hobby-machinist.com forums were trying to help you figure this out because the through holes are for an m10 not the supplied m8s and that means that there is not proper material under the m8 mounting screw, etc, etc, etc.
I'd have to guess that they get a little bit of business from all of us here.
I've had to call them a couple of times over the years to straighten out messed up orders and they've always done right by me.

Looking at everything again I think the chuck specs are right. It is 6.3", it did come with M10 cap screws and the bore is 1.575.
What's perplexing is that the backing plate is larger than spec'ed and the counterbores are too large.

My earlier follow-up to this was lost in the melee.
I called Shars and spoke to Richard.
He was a very decent fellow and listened to my concerns.
There was some initial push back, that I shouldn't have turned down the diameter.
He said that the backing plate was universal and so wasn't specifically sold specifically for the 4-jaw I bought.
When I pointed out that I bought them as a package and that the backplate was/is actually described as for the 4-jaw. I also pointed out that the line drawing for the chuck didn't match the pictures but the specs did match the chuck I received.

He said he'd have to call me back.

He called me back within 15 mins and said they were sending me a new backing plate. at their expense so long as i knew there could be duty and taxes. I was fine with that.
I was expecting to get something exactly the same as the first. Imagine my surprise when I got something quite different.

Box from the first backplate:
IMG_5675.jpg
Box for the new backplate:
IMG_5676.jpg
The SKUs and descriptions are exactly the same.

So here's the original backplate, turned down to match the chuck:
IMG_5680.jpg

Here's the new backplate:
IMG_5678.jpg
The diameter measures exactly as spec'ed in the listing and is very close to the diameter of the chuck. :)
Clearly something was up with the first one I received.

I'm quite happy with how this turned out. Shars and Richard in particular were totally decent to work with.

Now what should I do with the old backing plate? Collet chuck perhaps?:cocksure:

Nice!

Now what should I do with the old backing plate? Collet chuck perhaps?:cocksure:

Yep, collet chuck, mount an ER-40 plate to it. But uh... don't turn it down too much this time! :D

Well I say ER collet chuck but I have only used mine like twice in the past 3 yrs or so. Mine just sits on a shelf & collects dust.

Img_9141.jpg

Glad to hear this got resolved properly. Persistence pays.
Rather than trying to decide now what to do with the old plate, put it aside until its purpose reveals itself.

Back