What To Use Instead Of A 1 Inch Chucking Reamer

Pmedic828

Active User
Registered
I have a hobby project that would call for a 0.750 and a 1.0 chucking reamer. These reamers would be cutting a mid grade steel mystery metal about 2 inches in length. Wanted to use these reamers to cut a bore used as a cylinder wall for a piston on a toy steam engine. Both reamers seem rather expensive as I am a beginning hobbyist. Could anyone suggest an alternative to a $55 each reamer? Thanks!

Maybe bore it close and use a home built D reamer out of drill rod? Just a thought. I'm pretty sure I saw the D reamers in Machinists bedside reader.

Do you have any boring bars? This is exactly the type of job they are good for, especially if the bore is a blind bore.

Use a boring bar then a hone ( buy a BRAKE hone @ auto parts store) it yo size & desired finish.

fixit

+1on the boring bar

Boring bar came to mind for me, very versitile tool.

Doh! I should really pay attention to the whole OP. I would go with the boring bar and hone as well in this case. You will need a good fit and sneaking up on the final ID is easier with a bar and hone for the final polish.

Again, back to the usual suspects for the bars. I've seen them for as little as $20 shipped for a cheap set. Or you can roll your own. They're easy enough to make and you'll use them over and over.

As a self proclaimed beginner, I would suggest watching Tubalcain's videos on the subject. (Or all his videos for that matter.) Great instructionals. Just search Youtube for "Tubalcain or Mr. Pete 222 I believe..

Found him. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=mr.+pete+222

Back